Need help on vibrato

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

omegasquarez

Need help on vibrato

Post by omegasquarez »

NO matter how i try to play my vibrato-wether fom my throat or from my tummy it never comes out smooth.Any tips on this? :roll:
:arrow: Attack of The Floating Blob Thingy!!! :shock:

LaDanseuse

Post by LaDanseuse »

If you search the board, you'll find MANY posts talking about vibratos... try looking at those first (just a suggestion :wink: )

First start with long notes to get a general feel for the vibrato - where it's coming from, what it physically feels like, how to control it.... Next, to steady it, play into a metronome. Start at a slow pace (~ 50 bpm) and play eighth notes. Once you have that steady, gradually increase the speed.

As a side: I find doing vibratos from the throat much easier and more natural than from the diaphragm, so maybe you can try starting there. But the important thing to keep in mind is to NOT start nanny-goating, which is a problem that I had when I first started vibratos. It's kind of a very fast "vibrato" - a bleating, you could call it - that results when you push air through a tightened throat. The thing about vibratos (and playing in general) is to keep an open throat :wink:

omegasquarez

Post by omegasquarez »

i do it alot but it just doesnt feel smooth. Its almost just like the volume goes up and down at a faster pace but its jus soo..... uhh fake sounding.
:arrow: Attack of The Floating Blob Thingy!!! :shock:

juneroses

Post by juneroses »

gradually increase the tempo you use or decrease as needed. Practice in front of a mirror. I discovered that my lips would sometimes would be moving more than my air! Practice low notes, high notes, major scales up and down (mix them up), chromatic scales, minor scales (harmonic & melodic), Modestic mode scales, Natural minor scales, Ionian mode scales, Dorian mode scales, phrygian mode scales, mixomedian mode scales, aeoleam, locryan mode scales, and lydiam mode scales.

Yeah pretty much I picked a diffrent scale and tempo each day and practiced infront of the mirror, sometimes playing long tones or double tonguing beforehand help. even now that i've gotten the hang of it. I still practice everyday just so that i keep getting it to sound better and better.
[b]RANDOLPH QUOTES – ‘05[/b]
-"I wonder what happens when the drumline comes?"-Russo
-“Mrs. Russo likes trees.”-Popat
-“I’m clenching my butt cheeks!”–Matt
-“I broke my face.”-AnneMarie