newbie question about my flute

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

fhayashi

newbie question about my flute

Post by fhayashi »

Hello, bought a used Artley flute on a whim. No flute playing experience whatsoever...

I was having trouble making any noises below the low F. Then I noticed that on my flute, closing the left hand third (ring) finger presses the left pinky finger lever ever so lightly, so that the valve that the lever operates is a fraction open...

Is it supposed to be like this, or did something get bent on my old flute?

thanks

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Something's bent, or there's binding from dirt inside the key rods. Take this to a repairman asap, and it should be in good working order again in a flash!

fhayashi

Post by fhayashi »

I figured it out myself. Some very delicate bending fixed it. I can tell from the case that it had been put in the case wrong, so that the left pinky 'bar' was bent away from the flute when the lid was closed.

I figured out something was wrong when I noticed that depressing that lever opened the valve so far that the valve was hitting some other part of the mechanism.

As I paid less than $40 for the flute itself, I figured I'll bend it back myself. It now seems to be working much better.

Mfreak2007

Post by Mfreak2007 »

:shock: NEVER BEND ANYTHING ON YOUR FLUTE YOUR SELF!!!!! :shock: lol You could accidentulay cause some underline problem that can cost hundreds of dollars to fix... I know because I have done it .... that was a hard one to explaine to my mom! :lol: