Flute for Beginner.

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

qflute

Flute for Beginner.

Post by qflute »

Hi I'm new here. I'm a beginner at age 44. Right now I'm using my daughter's flute but I would like to buy a brand new flute for myself.

I need advice for which flute I should buy.

What is a good flute for a beginner ?

Any help / advice is welcome.

Thanks.

QFlute

Amateur_Flautist

Post by Amateur_Flautist »

I started out on a Pearl open hole, outset G, C foot joint, and it contributed to my being able to get an okay sound (for a beginner, of course) from the start. I suggest getting one of the major brands such as pearl, yamaha, or gemeinhardt. Whether or not you get a pro or beginner's is your decision. If you get an open holed one, I would keep all the plugs in for the first year or two and gradually start taking them out as you realize which fingers will allow you to. Also, outset G is better because it conforms to your hand better than inline, so that's usually a good idea, and a C foot joint comes in handy sometimes, but a B one will do just fine. The main thing is just to try out many different types and brands and make up your mind which ones you in particular think are best.
What's life without music?

H. Blanchard

Post by H. Blanchard »

I started out with a Gemeinhardt 2SP. A great beginner flute but if I could do it over again I would have gotten an open holed one.

makeajoyfulnoise

Post by makeajoyfulnoise »

It all depends on what you want. If you know that you (or your daugher) are going to keep on playing flute then you would be wise to invest in at least a flute with a silver head (vs. silver plated). Most of the flutes that are concidered "beginner" flutes are closed hole and all silver plated. This keeps the cost down. When you know that you are going to keep playing flute and you become more advanced you can get better sound quality out of a solid silver flute. Open hole is also something that a more advanced player can take advantage of. A beginner can use plugs in them until they learn where to place their fingers on the keys to cover the holes. As far as in line or off set G try different flutes and find what's most comfortable for your hands. Good brands for beginner to intermediate flutes are Yamaha, Gemeinhardt, Armstrong, or Trevor James. Like I said, try some out and pick the one that you can get the best sound out of and fits the best in your hands.