rusty player needs some guidance

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

thermodynomite

rusty player needs some guidance

Post by thermodynomite »

Man, I've been out of playing my flute for...about 4 years now? Sad, I know - I'm upset with myself too. But I'm new here, and thought maybe you guys could help me out a bit.

Well, I recently busted out the girls - my Yamaha 481H flute and my Gemeinhardt 4W piccolo. For being put in the dark for so long, they're kinda looking a little sad. The corks are all dry and there are a few minor (but obvious) leaks.

My plan is to keep up playing...at least, more than I have been and (of course) after I get a tune-up. But I need some advice on "storage." I remember the basics. You know; don't store anything in the case that's not supposed to be there, twist - don't push or pull, clean clean clean, and stay away from temperature change. But, is there anything I can do to keep these girls in better condition (aside from a yearly tune-up)? I'm especially concerned about the Gemeinhardt piccolo - I know you have to be careful with them.

any suggestions/advice?

Also, thoughts on the instruments specifically?

thanks a bunch!
<333
~Thermo~

thermodynomite

Post by thermodynomite »

the newb gets no love??

:cry:

etgohomeok

Post by etgohomeok »

My flute is actually a Yamaha 481 too and I basically abuse it and never clean it, still sounds fine :P

Occasionally I'll sterilize it with rubbing alcohol.

Phineas

Re: rusty player needs some guidance

Post by Phineas »

thermodynomite wrote:Man, I've been out of playing my flute for...about 4 years now? Sad, I know - I'm upset with myself too. But I'm new here, and thought maybe you guys could help me out a bit.

Well, I recently busted out the girls - my Yamaha 481H flute and my Gemeinhardt 4W piccolo. For being put in the dark for so long, they're kinda looking a little sad. The corks are all dry and there are a few minor (but obvious) leaks.

My plan is to keep up playing...at least, more than I have been and (of course) after I get a tune-up. But I need some advice on "storage." I remember the basics. You know; don't store anything in the case that's not supposed to be there, twist - don't push or pull, clean clean clean, and stay away from temperature change. But, is there anything I can do to keep these girls in better condition (aside from a yearly tune-up)? I'm especially concerned about the Gemeinhardt piccolo - I know you have to be careful with them.

any suggestions/advice?

Also, thoughts on the instruments specifically?

thanks a bunch!
<333
~Thermo~
Well, there is really not much you should need to do to store a flute except keep it in the case. I have found that if you do not play
on an instrument for a long time, it will almost always need adjustment. Especially if the instrument is not in a climate controlled localation. Even then, you may still need some adjustment. There is really no way around this, unless you vacuum seal them.

Sorry for the delayed response. There are other things people on the board are involved in like playing the flute!

Welcome to the board!

Phineas

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Aside from yearly maintenance, there isn't a whole lot that you can do. Get a microfiber cleaning cloth [or any soft UN-treated cleaning cloth], and wipe them clean regularly. The Gemmy 4W is wooden isn't it? If that is so, just keep it swabbed out [frequently while playing] so that it won't crack. Get the bore of it oiled twice a year. I would definately get the picc oiled immediately now that you are playing again. From sitting unused for so long, the wood will definately be "thirsty".

Otherwise, just be careful not to injure them! Just play and make beautiful music.

Welcome back to Flute-ing!