Tips from band camp

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Kendall

Tips from band camp

Post by Kendall »

Here are some tips I learned in my masterclass. But let you be warned that my masterclass teacher was VERY opinionated and I do not know anything on the validity of these tips so your comments are apreciated.

Auditions

1.)If you get sweaty palms-experiment with different antiperperents that decrease the slippage on the keys
2.)If you get dry mouth-test out different spots on your tongue and bite them, it creates the spit glands to "spit'' everyone has a specific place on their tongue and its usually near the tip
3.)If you get shaky-eating raw califlower or broccoli befvore the audition because it absorbs adrenadline

She also recommended that you have eaten a full meal before your audition because it helps your breathe support

I on the other hand believe that eating no meal will hurt your audition but I have trouble playing on a full stomach so I usually cut my meal in half before my audition and just have the rest after.

Hope this helps,
Kendall

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

Hmmm...I don't think it's a very good to eat a full meal before an audition, either. I find it's best to usually eat something light, like a salad before playing.
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]

MonikaFL

Post by MonikaFL »

I can't eat a full meal before a big audition or performance, I get too nervous!

Eating a banana or two helps me calm down, though. :D
Visit [url=http://www.monikadurbin.com/formiapress]Formia Press[/url] to check out my compositions and arrangements for flute and more.

woof

Re: Tips from band camp

Post by woof »

Kendall wrote:
Auditions

1.)If you get sweaty palms-experiment with different antiperperents that decrease the slippage on the keys
2.)If you get dry mouth-test out different spots on your tongue and bite them, it creates the spit glands to "spit'' everyone has a specific place on their tongue and its usually near the tip
3.)If you get shaky-eating raw califlower or broccoli befvore the audition because it absorbs adrenadline

She also recommended that you have eaten a full meal before your audition because it helps your breathe support

I.

Hmmm I don't know about putting antiperspirant on the flute-maybe that works but.....
#2. Salivary glands are stimulated by the presence of food and thoughts of food. I am no so sure biting your tongue would do very much? Maybe a little yogurt or piece of hard candy 20 min before would work better.

#3. Adrenalin is not present in the gut so eating broccoli or cauliflower will not absorb adrenalin. Adrenalin is secreted into the blood stream mainly from the adrenal glands over the kidney and the stuff in broccoli and cauliflower does not get into the blood system until it is broken down into individual molecules. Maybe it is the placebo effect she is trying for????

Also it seems to me that a full meal would interfere with easy breathing not help it??? I guess she is thinking a full stomack would press up against the diaphram and thus give support. If that is true it would also make taking a deep breath more difficult because the diaphram would have to work against the tension created by the stomack? :D

seldomseen

Post by seldomseen »

Full meal? No way. Only time I tried that before a gig (a blues set, playing harmonica) it affected my breathing and it was a battle not to lose said full meal all over the stage. Never again. Wouldn't recommend that for anyone playing a wind instrument or voice. Something light works for me -- like a salad.

As for the adrenaline, I'll usually clear my mind and use a few breathing exercises before going up to play. Maybe breathe slowly and fully, "following" the air in and out. Something like that.

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

As for that bit about broccoli absorbing adrenaline, I'm not too sure about that. I can't see that any ingredient in broccoli would do that, although the Indole-3 carbinol compounds in broccoli are said to slow or stop the reproduction of breast cancer cells. Anyway... to avoid shakiness during an audition, one should probably avoid anything caffinated or excessively sugary (because it would probably only add to the shakiness) and avoid alcoholic beverages, which can affect the central nervous system. If shakiness is an extreme problem, you may want to have a blood test performed to make sure all hormonal levels are normal. Or you might consider asking your doctor about beta blockers, which "block" the affect of adrenaline on your heart and slow nerve impulses that travel through the heart.

I'm just kind of throwing this out there for anybody...I have had severe problems with shaking during performances and I happened to have a routine blood test done a few weeks ago and it turns out I have hyperthyroidism. One of the side effects of hyperthyroid is excessive shaking...so you just never know.
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]

Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Woof,

You wouldn't put it on your flute, you put it on your hands and let it dry. Sorry, didn't think I had to clarify that.

Anyways I did not like this teacher at all she was very negative, so I'm not suprised to hear the facts behind these are not true
Kendall

woof

Post by woof »

Kendall wrote:Woof,

You wouldn't put it on your flute, you put it on your hands and let it dry. Sorry, didn't think I had to clarify that.

Anyways I did not like this teacher at all she was very negative, so I'm not suprised to hear the facts behind these are not true
Yes I thought it would go on the hands but then as you played some of it would end up on the keys. I am sure it could be cleaned off. At any rate most sweaty hands involve the palms more than the finger tips so I guess you would have to cover your whole hand??? Seems like you would have a real clean up job to do after playing??

Sorry your teacher was so negative hope you still had a chance to learn something.

Sneeble

Post by Sneeble »

I usually find that just drinking a little water helps with dry mouth. As for the meal, I never wanted to end up feeling nauseous or gassy during an audition, so I'd just have something light like a granola bar.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ereshkigal

Post by Ereshkigal »

YEAH. THE WHOLE MEAL THING SOUNDS BAD. WHAT IF YOU GET WAY TOO NERVOUS AND GET NAUSEAS? PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA IF YOU HAVE A FULL STOMACH. I THINK FRUITS OR SALADS WOULD BE GOOD. OR MAYBE A SHAKE. AS FOR THE BROCCOLI, I THINK IT MAKES SENSE.

jessclark

Post by jessclark »

Eating a banana before you play will help. The texture will coat your stomach and make you relax.

Also, if you get nerviness it is because of adrenalin. You do not want to get rid of the adrenalin; you want to control it so it will help you perform. If you don't have this adrenalin then you will sound dull and boring.

Also, if you get dry mouth when you play, well learn to play with it. This should be the least of your worries.

There is more resources about this topic under the Articles section of my website.

Jess Clark
http://www.FluteInfo.com
A Resource for all kinds of Flutists.

Bubbleminty

bananas

Post by Bubbleminty »

I always eat bananas before and oboe or flute audition. I looked it up something in them helps u relax , and because my flute teacher said so! lol.

Eat a Banana!

seldomseen

Post by seldomseen »

Broccoli's great, I love it, but it always gives me bad GAS!! Unless I dress it up with some Beano, I'd feel real bad for the drummer -- he's sitting BEHIND me!! :twisted: