New Flute Player/Listener

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Ankaret

New Flute Player/Listener

Post by Ankaret »

Hey guys, Im extremely new to the flute, I just picked one up yesterday, and have been eager to learn for a while. Though the only kind of flute playing I have heard has been of progressive rock bands of the 70's such as Jethro Tull and Camel, and this is what got me to try it. I play guitar and sing, but would like to learn flute as well, and am in need of some great listening (as well as practice). Im really into more folkish styles of flute playing, are there any players that you would recommend I give a listen to?!? Or maybe bands that use flute prominently throughout their music?!? Just need to hear some great flute playing right now is all...suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Im t3H flOOT NeWb!

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

Folkish? I dunno if I can help you there...I can, however, recommend a number of good flute players to listen to. James Galway has some very good flute recordings out; he plays a lot of Irish music but has branched out quite a lot and has a variety of recordings out. Emmanuel Pahud is an excellent player as well; I love his interpretations of Bach and Mozart. If you're looking for something a little less conventional, you might try listening to some Nestor Torres (Cuban jazz) or Hubert Laws (who has a whole manner of things out). I also really admire Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. I think that you could learn a lot by listening to a wide variety of flutists...happy playing!
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

For celtic/folk, Cherish the Ladies (a women's band) is nice...be sure to get some good tone and technique under your belt before venturing into the extended/pop kind of techniques...it helps to have a knowledge of tone production and possibilities. :D