Poll- What kind of flute do you have?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Fluteoholic

Post by Fluteoholic »

I have a Jupiter 611 body with a Sankyo headjoint.
_*Scott-_

Mango

Post by Mango »

I don't care what crap people say about them, I have a Gemeinhardt M2SP and I love it, ok??? It's a little flat sometimes, but a little rolling fixes it!

(Maybe it's because it's an older one. I mean it's older than me. Perhaps it is the newer Gemeinhardts that generate all these complaints...)

{edited to inclide this bit:}
99.88% of players that start on the flute...
Did you know that 58.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot? :P

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I think that Gemeinhardt, overall, makes some quality flutes, and they have been for a very long time. One of the things that seems to turn some people away is the fact that they are such a big company, and have been heard of all over the world. As for the sound, I believe that with any flute, there will be some that simply don't sound good on it. For instance, I tried a $36,000 flute at the NFA convention last fall that I sounded horrible on. That does not mean I believe the make of the flute should not be considered by others. I do not like my sound on Yamaha, but I highly recommend them to some of my students. Keep in mind that every human is uniqe, as are the sounds that we produce on the flute. In truth, as long as a flute is a qulaity flute that does not give you constant mechanical problems, and you like the sound, I say stick with it.

On the other side of things, Gemeinhardt student models are known for poor intonation and adjustment issues. Other flutes are known for other issues as well, but that will not stop me from recommending them to students. I am full aware that none of my students have the financial means to purchase handmade flutes, and I will continue to help them find the best sounding flute for what money they have, and yes, that does include Gemeinhardt, Yamaha, Armstrong, Emerson, and others.

SilverwindWicca2007

Post by SilverwindWicca2007 »

I have an Emerson EF80F. Silver with open holes, B foot, C# trill key, offset G, the usual... I love it, I just got it for christmas last year (even though I was playing it LONG before that!!! My poor old Gemeinhardt just couldn't cut it anymore, even though I still use it for Marching season...
I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

-- Helen Keller

SilverwindWicca2007

Very true flutiegurl, what you said about every human being different. I suppose you already knew that the reason everyone's tone is different is because the shape of our mouth cavities are different??
I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

-- Helen Keller

XxJunWeiOixX

Hehe,

Post by XxJunWeiOixX »

Azumi .. I Tend To Sound More Airy On It.. :shock:

XxJunWeiOixX

Hehe,

Post by XxJunWeiOixX »

Azumi .. I Tend To Sound More Airy On It.. :shock:

pandagirl11

Post by pandagirl11 »

So excited! =) I'm going to be getting a Yamaha YFL-684H flute soon. Just not getting anywhere with my Gemeinhardst 72SP although I do love it. =) It got me from nothing (October 2004) to Grade 6 (July 2005). =)

SilverwindWicca2007

Yay!!!! That's really cool pandagirl!!! Congrats!!

-- Helen Keller

monkey

Post by monkey »

I have a student Armstrong flute :D
~Vanessa~
[color=deeppink]ThE[/color] [color=limegreen]fLuTe[/color][color=deeppink] RoCkS[/color][color=limegreen] mY[/color] [color=deeppink]sOcKs!![/color]

omegasquarez

Post by omegasquarez »

I play a brandless flute... :cry: i want a Yamaha!!!
:arrow: Attack of The Floating Blob Thingy!!! :shock:

Drummer_Girl

Post by Drummer_Girl »

my flute just says maple on it, its borrowed, on the top joint..... bt im getting a gold and purple flute of mjy own i been playin about a week or so.....
___,,,,__________________Q_Q_Q_\_Q____________,_;_=====,___,
(___()_________)_____,_O_O_~_~_~====_PPPP____Q_Q__G__G____)
'

Jim_P

Post by Jim_P »

My main instrument these days is a blackwood 6-key made by Hammy Hamilton.

I also play a Gemeinhardt 3SSB made in the late 70's, a Baroque flute by Sweet, and polymer flutes by Michael Cronnolly and Desi Seery.

--James

ClariFlute

Post by ClariFlute »

I have a Sonatina. I have never heard of the brand, so i think it is just a crappy beginner flute...I want to get a new one, like a open hole with b foot joint....

piccoloprincess17

Post by piccoloprincess17 »

i have a brand new Sonare flute...and let me say it makes your sound awesome...its got a Powell head joint and point arms...its a lovely thing!
~sarah