Newbie needing reality check

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

PakRatScott

Newbie needing reality check

Post by PakRatScott »

I bought a couple flutes about 5 years ago, having wanted to learn to play since playing sax in high school.

The first flute I bought was an Artley 'Super Artist'. From the serial number, it appears to be about a 1958 vintage, and it looks like it's all solid silver. I had a dent removed, pads replaced, and a couple of tone holes adjusted.

The Artley defied my attempt at learning to play it, so I bought a Pearl PF-501E in very good condition. This seemed to be a more forgiving instrument.

So I have two questions. First, is it really practical to try to learn to play a flute without professional instruction? If so, I'd like to keep one of the flutes, but which one?

I've found a lot of information on the Pearl ( plated, c foot, offset g, closed hole, good beginner flute), but I haven't been able to find anything on the Artley. I do know it has a c foot, inline g, open hole, and appears to be all silver. Was Artley the Edsel of the flute world?

ClariFlute

Post by ClariFlute »

Well, i can't really tell you anything about the flutes that you have, but it is possible to teach youself. I started 2 years ago, never had a lesson and i'm in an advanced orchestra. I have a bunch of instruction books and if i need to know what a certain thing means, i just look in those.

piccoloprincess17

Post by piccoloprincess17 »

if you plan to pursue your flute abilities to upper level orchestras or bands, definitely go the artley. i've played them before and they are pretty good instruments. but if you just want to learn for the sake of picking up a different instrument i would play the pearl. hope this helped!
~sarah

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Why not find a good local flutist to help with the decision, and to get some pointers to start your playing in the right direction? :)