A question about Embochure

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

flute_lover

A question about Embochure

Post by flute_lover »

Hi,
I have a question to ask about forming an embochure, I know how to form an embochure with the smile method, but i just recently bought a beginners flute book and it teach that it's wrong to smile and it also teaches that we should say ta then too when playing a note. My question is what should i follow?

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

The smile method is a bit old-school. It limits our capacity to create a full palette of tone colors, and sometimes (ok, usually) impairs our intonation. What book are you using, and do you have a teacher to help? I like the Trevor Wye beginner books, and usually teach beginners to produce a tone using a sort of "poo" syllable. "Ta" and "too" are traditional syllables used for articulation, athough others, such as "doo", are used as well. To produce a tone, place your flute properly (a little different for each of us), maybe so you can feel the lip-plate against your lower gumline. Allow the corners of lips to remain relaxed (use a mirror--I just had this embouchure discussion this afternoon, lol) and blow gently using the syllable "poo"--allow the air to open your lips, rather than making a particular shape. After producing a good, full, likely-fuzzy tone, begin to refine it by changing the airstream's direction with the center part of your upper lip. Keep us posted. :)

steelpanther02

Post by steelpanther02 »

I don't know the smile method so I'm not sure if it works as good. I suggest practicing in the mirror and find a way that works and is comfortable. Also it is important that ou say ta, or rather, too. As my teacher would say it sounds like Fwaaa when you play noted without um...tuing?

boglarka

Post by boglarka »

There is an ongoing debate about the "proper" way to form an embouchure. Here is a link to a paper by Bradley Garner on it
http://www.txband.com/pdfs/FluteEmbouchure.pdf

He mentions that since no two human beings are the same, they will all look different when producing a sound on the flute. In my opinion, there is no "wrong" or "right" lip position. If you make the flute sound good, why should it matter?

He also mentions that "puckering" the lips may create a breathy sound, and that when the corners of the mouth are drawn back (ie. "smiling"), the shape of the aperture is elongated, thus creating a more focused sound.

I disagree with the comment that this latter method impairs intonation and limits tone colors. Not being able to control your lip muscles, and not having a musical ear would lead to such problems.

In my life, I have met several teachers who were adamant about changing a student's lip position to resemble the one they used. I do not subscribe to this, unless there is a musical reason for it. Take a look at famous flutists' photos "in action". You will be surprised how different they all look! (There is an out-of-print book by Roger Stevens about playing flute that is full of pictures...I can't remember its title but you might find it in libraries.)

All in all, I would suggest you try blowing into a bottle to create a sound, and then the flute headjoint. However you achieve a good sound, make sure that you are using the proper breathing technique.
Boglarka
Kiss - Fluteland.com Teacher

Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Use which method works for you. My sax teacher can also play flute as well, but I have a better sound than her and shes spent tons of money on learning the "right" method. So whatever allows you to have a good sound, use it, get several different opnions about embourchre, if one makes your tone weak and airy, then try a different way.
The more you put into something the more you get out of it