Alternive fingering for D-F?

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

FluttiTutti

Alternive fingering for D-F?

Post by FluttiTutti »

Does anyone know an alternative fingering from High D to High F? I'm having trouble getting from D to F in 16th notes and keeping up to speed.

Thanks! :D

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Try fingering G2 with the thumb Bb. You'll have to overblow it to a D, and then you can move the second and third fingers of your left hand simultaneously to produce the F. It'll be in harmonics, so may not sound quite right, but it's about as close as you'll get. If at all possible, you should use the "real" fingerings. You'll likely come up against this again sometime, and you won't always work to use this little "cheat."

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Yeah, I agree. try to use the real fingerings if possible, but make sure you learn the "cheat" as well.

I was playing with an honors symphonic band in our state a few months ago, and we were playing a piece called "Russian Christmas Music", and the tempo the conductor wanted (It was Arnold Gabriel from the military's national marching band ), was faster than anyone could play some runs, so we had to use this trick. I was the only one who knew it, so I had to teach the rest of the section.

But yes, learn it both ways, b/c both are helpful.

FluttiTutti

Post by FluttiTutti »

Okay thanks everyone for all the help :)!

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

fluteguy18 wrote: I was playing with an honors symphonic band in our state a few months ago, and we were playing a piece called "Russian Christmas Music", and the tempo the conductor wanted (It was Arnold Gabriel from the military's national marching band ), was faster than anyone could play some runs, so we had to use this trick. I was the only one who knew it, so I had to teach the rest of the section.
Yeah, one of my high school bands played that. It sort of takes some time to get into, but it's a cool piece. Anyway, I had just come off performing a piece called Dances of Galanta with an orchestra, where we used harmonics for some of the runs because they simply weren't feasible otherwise, and I suggested the same thing to the rest of the section for Russian Christmas Music.