Clearer Sound

Alternate Fingerings, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Band_Geek

Clearer Sound

Post by Band_Geek »

How do I get a clearer sound? Right now, it sounds a little airy. Its like you can hear the air blowing into the flute. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Schof

Post by Schof »

It could be a problem with your flute. Try playing a different one and see if you have the same problem.

Band_Geek

Post by Band_Geek »

I played a friends Yamaha, it still sounded kind of airy. Im guessing I need to make my lips more circular.

FltnPicc_David

Post by FltnPicc_David »

I have that problem on my Gemeinhardt 2SP......the judge at Solo and Ensemble noticed it during my flute solo but it only happened in the flute solo not the piccolo solo so it might be the way the Gemeinhardt headjoints are made. >_<;;

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

i have airyness in my higher notes... but i dont think its completely avoidable on a flute (or is it :?: )... just because of the way it is played
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

Schof

Post by Schof »

Yeah it is avoidable. I don't really know what to tell you, I haven't really had that problem unless it was my flute or the wrong fingering. I guess you could just try making your embouchure a little bigger. You might be trying a to squeeze the notes out that way so just open it up and make the air faster instead of making your mouth super small.

ick27

Post by ick27 »

The development of tone is really a life-long endeavor. The tone of the flute doesn't have to be windy, but it usually takes students at least few years to develop a tone without wind in the sound. It's very imporant to hear good flutists, both live and on recordings. It's hard to say much about what to do with your lips and embouchure, since every flutist has to find their own setup. If you watch several good flutists play, the way they put their lips on the instrument will all be different (because their bodies are different.)
In general though, I've found that students tend to play with an embouchure that is too large and have the flute rolled in (covered) too much. If your airstream is wider than the embouchure hole, this is audible as wind or hiss, so you should try focusing the airstream, making it faster and narrower. And remember, there is no replacement for a good teacher--you cannot master the flute all on your own!

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

ick27 wrote:you cannot master the flute all on your own!
thats for darn sure!!! ive been taking lessons for over a year and theres still so many things im learning!

amhso

Post by amhso »

blow more down into the flute on higher notes. slow down your air. you need MORE air, but that doesn't mean FASTER.

flute_forever

Post by flute_forever »

I haven't had that problem with my gemeinhardt 2sp...
try making your lips more circular and try blowing harder as straight into the hole as you can

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

ive actually learned recently that circular is bad. in fact for high notes its supposed to me kinda oval shaped, but the thinnest possible hole u can get with out... well... lip farting, i guess u could call it. i recently had a lesson with the flute prof from my university i want to go to next year (for music).

bandbabe1990

Post by bandbabe1990 »

I use to have a really big problem with being airy. My band director suggested I practice enharmonics(overtones). That helped my A LOT. My sound became much clearer and more crisp.

OdetteBrion

Post by OdetteBrion »

I, myself used to have airy tone, and the principle factor contributing to it was shallow breathing. Assess your breathing. Make sure, whether you are standing or sitting that you are upright but relaxed. I stress the relaxed part; relax your "abs"(these are not the muscles you breathe with), shoulders, neck, arms, jaw and face. Also it helps to pretend that nothing exists between your face and trachea (a.k.a. you have no neck). Far too many flute players "breathe with their throat" thus weakening their volume, tone, and general resonance. You will know if you are using your throat to breathe because it will be the source of your vibrato, and sometimes sound will escape from your throat while you are playing. Breathe more from your stomach and diaphragm, attempting to keep a straight line for air from your knees all the way up to your head. Try to keep a low "oh" or "oo" shape in your mouth. Also to fix airy tone, try tilting your flute inwards and/or pushing your airflow downwards more. And remember that what you hear is far different from what the audience hears. What they hear (since sound travels better through solids than air) is only 50% of what you hear in your head. When you breathe in, don't think of holding the air until you are going to choke if you don''t breathe. Simply breathe in, and then blow out, and fill up again (completely) once you are almost out of air and before your tone and sound becomes quivery and weak. Best of luck, hope this helps. :)

Dusk

Post by Dusk »

amhso wrote:blow more down into the flute on higher notes. slow down your air. you need MORE air, but that doesn't mean FASTER.
I thought that higher notes were supposed to be blown more up on, although you could be meaning relative to the note being played.
Honor is for the living; death has none.

Flute_star3

Post by Flute_star3 »

Also, don't forget about the placement of your tongue, it could very well be obstructing the air stream. Another thing, make sure you are using the wet squishy part of your lip to guide the air stream into the flute. One more thing, this is something I have trouble with since my lower lip is bigger than my upper, as many have said, use your upper lip to direct the air down into the flute, you should have a bit of an overbite affect. Hope this helps, good luck with your sound! :P
The corporal works of mercy:
feed the hungry
Quench the thirsty
clothe the naked
Slap the stupid