Notes ABOVE 4th Octave C?

Alternate Fingerings, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

FruityFlutie

Notes ABOVE 4th Octave C?

Post by FruityFlutie »

Last year, I heard of a girl at district band auditions who played her F major scale 3 octaves. So I was looking into it to see if I could find the fingerings to prepare this year to further my playing and put me at that higher level. Does anyone have a clue what those fingerings are? From 4th octave C# to the F above that? I've looked online and other places and have yet to find them. Help?

juneroses

Post by juneroses »

i don't believe you can go three octaves. my private teacher taught me a high 4th octave C sharp and D but according to her it doesn't get any higher than those two notes. They aren't listed on most fingering charts either. You really probably won't have to play them like, ever. If you just want those two fingerings I can give them to you :)

ick27

Post by ick27 »

It is possible to play up to an F# or G in the fourth octave, however these extreme high notes are only of limited musical use. Prokofiev often writes up to D for flute, and this is considered the top of the "standard range" in some orchestration textbooks and I've played new composed pieces that used up to an E. I've never found an F fingering that is in tune at all (the standard fingering seems very flat to me) and the G is not producable on all flutes. I think these high notes are worth working on because it helps you become comfortable with the upper third octave. I believe Julius Baker advocated playing melodies in the fourth octave for this purpose. You can try the fingering chart on Larry Krantz's site, or search around the internet. http://www.larrykrantz.com/fingers.htm
I doubt that the district band people are looking for fourth octave notes in auditions, but it's always fun to push your playing as far as you can.

FruityFlutie

Post by FruityFlutie »

ick27 wrote:It is possible to play up to an F# or G in the fourth octave, however these extreme high notes are only of limited musical use. Prokofiev often writes up to D for flute, and this is considered the top of the "standard range" in some orchestration textbooks and I've played new composed pieces that used up to an E. I've never found an F fingering that is in tune at all (the standard fingering seems very flat to me) and the G is not producable on all flutes. I think these high notes are worth working on because it helps you become comfortable with the upper third octave. I believe Julius Baker advocated playing melodies in the fourth octave for this purpose. You can try the fingering chart on Larry Krantz's site, or search around the internet. http://www.larrykrantz.com/fingers.htm
I doubt that the district band people are looking for fourth octave notes in auditions, but it's always fun to push your playing as far as you can.
Thanks for the help! I added that page into my favorites and I will be working on them from now until (and past) district auditions. The good thing about knowing them (and being comfortable with them) is that you can get extra points added to your score for each octave above what is required. More of a chance at getting in.
If you have ever heard of Trevor Wye, that is where I first saw the fingerings up to F. My private instructor gave me a packet with them in it, but I lost the packet and I'm not currently taking lessons. Again, thanks for your help.

juneroses

Post by juneroses »

wow. you learn something new everyday. *adds to favorites*

Band_Geek

Post by Band_Geek »

Ive never heard of anything higher than C on the 3rd octave.

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

There's also a good chart at www.woodwind.org (I think that's it) with fingerings to G above high C. I have some pieces with Es in them, and have seen one piece (contemporary chamber music) with an F. A D# turned up in the all-state band music, Donald Grantham's Southern Harmony, a couple years ago, but it's a terribly unresponsive note. I have, literally, 16 fingerings for this note. ONE works on my flute (Muramatsu), and only one (a different 'one') worked for my student in question. She sat second chair, and, after the concert I asked, "Did anyone play the D#?" She laughed, saying no, and that the conductor finally cut that movement because many instruments' parts were witten in extreme, read: virtually unplayable, ranges and were too difficult to learn in a weekend. Like high Es, Fs, and Gs (above the staff) for the bass clarinets! :)

Schof

Post by Schof »

I have a book that has a fingering chart that goes up to that F. One of those Rubank Advanced Method ones. The intermediate one has a fingering chart at the begining and a trill chart in the middle.

FluttiTutti

Post by FluttiTutti »

Band_Geek wrote:Ive never heard of anything higher than C on the 3rd octave.
Do you mean the 4th octave? Because theres the lowest C, middle C, the C above the staff, then the highest C

Band_Geek

Post by Band_Geek »

Yea thats what I meant.

Flute/picc

Post by Flute/picc »

*Squeals* I KNEW IT! There are higher notes. *Shakes head* Everyone in my section (Flute of course) were trying to say that the notes ended at D because the chart didn't have any other notes but I was trying to tell them that the chart was missing at least one note but I know there is supposed to be a Bb at the bottom and E at the top even if there is nothing else. *Is eager to run into band room to tell them that they are wrong* lol... Now I have a few more notes to learn how to play and memorize fingerings on. Yay!

amhso

Post by amhso »

yeah..my friend just showed them to me 2 days ago. D and F. I don't know the fingers, but I always knew there was higher. but they are rarely used, and if they are used, it's quick...really quick, just as high C is.

amhso

Post by amhso »

yeah..my friend just showed them to me 2 days ago. D and F. I don't know the fingers, but I always knew there was higher. but they are rarely used, and if they are used, it's quick...really quick, just as high C is.

piccolopete

Post by piccolopete »

Wow! Thanks for the info about the page. I use alot of Larry Krantz's stuff... I have binders full of his stuff that i printed off of the internet.. I wanted to really expand my range, but I've bewen too busy with all-state band music to search for more charts... Yay! * prints and starts playing flute at computer* :D
I'm going to be the best flutist in state! CHA!!