what is double and triple tonguing? its sounds really ha

Performace Tips, Advanced Technique and More

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

fluteforever

what is double and triple tonguing? its sounds really hard!

Post by fluteforever »

i have no
clue
life
is not fair, its just fairer than death

justanotherpiper

Post by justanotherpiper »

Double
tonguing is used in fast songs, and is mainly used to be able to play sixteenth
notes at their proper tempo. For example: It is really hard to "single-tongue" a
song full of sixteenth notes at a speed of 142. So, someone decided to make a
new method, double tonguing. Instead of just tonguing right behind your teeth,
you can use little phrases to help you double tongue. Try repeating T-K-T to
yourself, and pay attention to what your tongue is doing. You can also SLOWLY
repeat the word "kitty" over and over to yourself to get the feel of double
tonguing. The next step is to try this on your flute. Try playing a few notes
SLOWLY while practicing. Remember: Double tonguing is a very hard thing to
perfect, and don't give up if you can't double tongue after you've practiced
once. Just keep trying, and don't stop practicing. You'll get it!!! By the
way, I'm not really sure what triple tonguing is used for!! I hope that I
helped you!
-justanotherpiper

fluteforever

Post by fluteforever »

thx, it
really helped me a lot.
life
is not fair, its just fairer than death

embum79

Post by embum79 »

Triple
tonguing is just like double tonguing, but in groups of threes. Like "T-K-T
T-K-T" Or "T-K-T K-T-K"
Cheers,
Emily

vice

Post by vice »

I don't
see what the big deal is about double/triple-tounging. I can single-tongue any
fast passage I've ever been faced with. To be honest I think it hinders your
sound when you use it. I see no need to practice it.

Thom

Double Tounging

Post by Thom »

If you can play the 1st movement of the Poulenc sonata without double tounging then your a better flutist then I am....
And triple touging is when you go T-K-T-T-K-T etc. I would guess its used for touging fast triplets though I don't know any pieces that use it. On another note though if you find double tounging difficult try going D-K instead of T-K, makes it easier.

Schof

Re: what is double and triple tonguing? its sounds really ha

Post by Schof »

vice wrote:I don't
see what the big deal is about double/triple-tounging. I can single-tongue any
fast passage I've ever been faced with. To be honest I think it hinders your
sound when you use it. I see no need to practice it.
When well practiced you can hardly tell the player is using the k sound at all, the ts and ks sound the same. It actually sounds way cleaner and trust me a day will come where you will need it to play a fast passage.

rebecca

Post by rebecca »

Generally speaking, triple tonguing (T-K-T-T-K-T) is used in fast pieces in which notes are grouped in three (three-eight, six-eight, etc). Double tonguing can be used in six-eight, but flutists have a tendency of getting tongue-tied when doing that.

Oh, and vice - trust me, there will come a time when you'll need to use double/triple tonguing. I thought the same way as you and neglected learning double tonguing until about a year ago (and I still haven't gotten it perfect) because I realized it was absolutely necessary.

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

is even triple tounging necessairy? (i know double is) my brain doesnt seem to want to do triple, lol. my tongue goes all.... funky, and like- gives out. lol.
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

amhso

Post by amhso »

well, trippple tonguing is essentially the same thing as double tonguing, just grouping them into 3's. Easier to count and work with the notes.

Learning to double, tripple, and maybe flutter (prolly will use it only a few times in a lifetime) will help you to play faster and more accurate pieces. if you try and tongue a piece at 150 bpm 16th notes...even ifyou can tongue pretty fast changes are you'll get off, or notes will start slipping together.

plu5on3

Re: Double Tounging

Post by plu5on3 »

Thom wrote:If you can play the 1st movement of the Poulenc sonata without double tounging then your a better flutist then I am....
And triple touging is when you go T-K-T-T-K-T etc. I would guess its used for touging fast triplets though I don't know any pieces that use it. On another note though if you find double tounging difficult try going D-K instead of T-K, makes it easier.

ibert concerto first movement first few bars

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

I was told by more than one teacher, "Let the Ts and Ks fall where they will. Don't try to put them in a certain order." This helped a lot. And, although I have a quite-fast single tongue, there are countless examples in our repertoire, mostly after 1900, in which there are so many notes at such fast tempi, no alternative exists but multiple tonguing--Poulenc, Ibert, Burton sonatina last movement, any number of Paris Conservatory contest pieces. Just get started working on it now, gang. :D Flutter is used more often in twentieth-century and even more-current compositions. One of my students is preparing for a competition and has actually two pieces which feature a few short bursts of flutter. One is the first movement of the Milhaud sonatine, and the other is a new piece by Gary Schocker. It's kind of a novelty piece, but a challenging one. The title is Ambidextranata (er, Ambidextrous Sonata), and it's written for left-hand flute and right-hand piano, one player. The third movement is lots of (double-tongued) sixteenths at quarter note = 144, interspersed with a few jolts of fluttered C#s. The last line features a long sort-of scale which begins in the flute hand and ends in the piano hand, a coupla loud piano chords, and, as the player stands, a fourth-octave D. :shock: Whoo-hoo! Actually, it's pretty cool.
"There is no 'Try'; there is only 'Do'."--Yoda

FluteDude

Re: what is double and triple tonguing? its sounds really ha

Post by FluteDude »

I've been playing flute a short time!, +/- A month & a half...I remember Double Tongueing in 8th Grade Band-Trumpet, but never Mastered it back then. NOW, I'm learning Flute. I'm Getting better at Double Tongueing ALL the time by PRACTICING THE SYLLABLES Everywhere I go without my flute. I Practice as many VARIATIONS as possible! Ie. Ta-Ka-Ta-Ka-Ta-Ka, Tu-Ku-Tu-ku, Too-koo-Too-Koo, Tee-Kee-Tee-Kee, To-Ko-To-Ko & the same with "D"-"G"...Da-Ga, Du-Gu etc. & I Experiment with other CONSONANTS & VOWELS as well. I also use "RHYTHM & ACCENTS (As in an Accented Drum Roll). This PRACTICE REGIMEN SEEMS TO REALLY BE HELPING ME! Occasionally, I Practice Triple Tongueing. The othe Morning, I awoke from a dream where I was Triple Tongueing!!! IN ALL THE YOUTUBE TUTORIAL VIDEOS & FLUTE FORUMS I'VE SEEN OR READ, THEY NEVER GET SPECIFIC ON WHAT OR HOW TO TRIPLE TONGUE OTHER THAN THE CONSONANTS & VOWELS USED...SOME MIGHT SAY TO PUSH THE "TONGUE TO THE BASE OF THE TEETH OR GUMS NEAR THEM"...FOR TRIPLE TONGUEING, IN ONLY A FEW MINUTES, USING VARIOUS CONSTANTS & VOWELS WITH RHYTHM & ACCENTS, I WAS ABLE TO GO FROM VERY SLOW TO VERY FAST TRIPLE TONGUEING...THEN I DROPPED THE ACCENTS RESULTING IN EVEN FASTER TRIPLE TONGUEING, SO FAST IN FACT THAT I CAN'T IMAGINE MY FINGERING EVER BEING ABLE PROGRESS TO THAT SPEED EVEN AFTER 20+ YEARS OF PLAYING DAILY!!! FOR ME, THE THING THAT MADE THE MOST DIFFERENCE TRIPLE TONGUEING WAS TO BRING THE TIP OF MY TONGUE UP TO THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH, LIGHTLY & ABOUT 1/2 INCH PLUS BACK FROM WHERE THE TEETH GO INTO THE GUMS. THE TRIPLE TONGUEING WAS EASY, DOUBLE TONGUEING IS WORK! FOR FLUTTER TONGUEING, I'VE BEEN PRACTICING...ROLLING MY "R's"...This too, has been easy! We're All different, but many of us are very similar. KIND OF LIKE A BAND!!! DIFFERENT INSTRUMENTS, SECTIONS. DIFFERENCES BETWEEN INSTRUMENTS, DIFFERENCES WITHIN THE SAME SECTION(S) YET THERE ARE ALSO SIMILARITIES! SO TOO, ARE WE, PEOPLE, INDIVIDUALS!!! HOPEFULLY, THIS POST MIGHT BE HELPFUL TO SOME OTHER LEARNING FLAUTIST WHO IS SIMILAR IN SOME RESPECTS-TO ME!