Any Phoenix flute, by Geoghegan Company, out there?

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

michael

Any Phoenix flute, by Geoghegan Company, out there?

Post by michael »

Any of you still playing a Geoghegan Phoenix Flute? What do you think of this flute?

This short-lived company, founded in 1980 by Michael Geoghegan and Ted Jerome, designed and produced a stunning, art-deco looking flute. I think that I got to play flute # 3 or 4 at the workshop just after it was completed. Really nice action and tone. Ted made headjoints for Powell in the late 70's.

The Geoghegan Co., located in Vermont, was perhaps the first to put into production a flute that had the tone holes braised onto the body with silver: it was quite a sight, watching them do this, as one heated the body tube while the other controlled the brazing of the joint. Ted has the history of this flute and the company at this link http://www.tjimaging.com/ted/phoenixflutes.html

Michael

tjerome

Re: Any Phoenix flute, by Geoghegan Company, out there?

Post by tjerome »

michael wrote:This short-lived company, founded in 1980 by Michael Geoghegan and Ted Jerome
To be more accurate, the Geoghegan Company was founded by Mike Geoghegan years before that date. He was a padder for Verne Q. Powell Flutes under that name, working remotely from VQP in his home/office in Vermont. At his offer, I joined his company (leaving VQP) as an employee to form a new branch of his business that would make the Phoenix flutes. Jack Lazarowski also joined the company at that time.

After the flute-making business closed, Mike still operated under the Geoghegan Company name as a flute repair shop for some time. I've lost track of him after that point.

Ted Jerome