Poll- What kind of flute do you have?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

angelic_devil

Post by angelic_devil »

Actually, when I practice my flute I am right by my computer also. It is in my music room, so I can see how you are able to do that. Sometimes I have to turn off my computer and phone when practicing because I have a hard enough time focusing. Ugh!

cflutist

Post by cflutist »

The following are my flute family instruments:

1 - Wm. S. Haynes - open hole, inline G, soldered tone holes, B-foot, thinwall .014", purchased/made in 1972. C# Trill and Split-E were added in 1998. Just recently purchased a David Williams 14K headjoint with 14K PE (Platinum Enhanced) riser which I love.

Back in 1972 there were not a whole lot of choices. Powell had a 3 year waiting list, Haynes a 6 month waiting list (if purchased through House of Woodwinds in Oakland CA), and they just started importing Muramatsu Flutes into the US. The Haynes was $1100 and the Muramatsu $850, so being the impatient high school kid that I was, I chose the Haynes. Also at that time, the only open hole version that Haynes offered was .014", (.016" and .018" were not available).

2 - Gemeinhardt 3KSB - open hole, inline G, B-foot, gold springs, solid silver body, plated keys. This is my outdoors and camping flute.

3 - GK (George Koregelos) Wood Piccolo - solid silver keys, gold springs, Straubinger pads. Its okay for the few times I play picc.

4 - Emerson A3 Alto Flute - silver body, plated keys, straight and curved headjoints. Started with just the straight headjoint, but too difficult to play for long periods of time, so bought the curved headjoint later. The flute is okay, should have bought a Pearl instead (my friend has one of these). I use this mainly for Flute Choir playing.

5 - Casey Burns Irish flute

6 - Skip Healy Fife

7 - Brannen-Cooper Flute - 14K body, rings, and tone holes (soldered) with silver mechanism . Inline G, open holes, B foot, C# Trill, Split-E, D# Roller. Brogger Mekanik and Brogger Accoustic.
Last edited by cflutist on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nii_neko

Post by nii_neko »

Dude! Its been forever since Ive been here! My band director got me an open hole :D ! yay!Its a Gemeinhardt Elkhardt M3. Yeh, my Blessing Flute Broke, One of the springs snaped...that sucked...

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

nii_neko wrote:Dude! Its been forever since Ive been here! My band director got me an open hole :D ! yay!Its a Gemeinhardt Elkhardt M3. Yeh, my Blessing Flute Broke, One of the springs snaped...that sucked...

You should be able to get that spring replaced very easily by any good repair tech. Congrats on the new flute, though!

Band_twink_14

Post by Band_twink_14 »

I have a gemeinhardt 2SP....... It's kinda not too good.
"Imagine, if you will, a world without hypothetical situations........"

Bumpbert

Re:

Post by Bumpbert »

I also have a gemeinhart 2sp, I never knew until just now I looked at the little words on the body of the flute.

Is that a bad model? I've had it for almost a decade, and I can still get all the notes out of it and it sounds fairly good for most of them.

flutepicc06

Re:

Post by flutepicc06 »

Bumpbert wrote: Is that a bad model? I've had it for almost a decade, and I can still get all the notes out of it and it sounds fairly good for most of them.
It's not a bad model. There are of course flutes that cost far more, but if it does what you need it to do, and you're happy with it, there's nothing "bad" about it. It's a solid, name brand instrument, so as long as you give it the proper maintainance it should serve you well for a long time.

remnantpark

Post by remnantpark »

wow. just wow. I only have a stinking Armstrong with open hole inline G and no B foot...ha ha. I still use those plug thingies. I only took 2 of them off.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

remnantpark-- I would be careful about bashing certain brands. Just because you dont particularly like your instrument doesnt say much as to quality for the entire brand. For many people, the instrument they have, is the only one that they can afford, and if you make comments that put a certain brand down, then it can be taken quite offensively.

So, I would be careful when it comes to saying whether a certain kind of flute 'stinks' or not because it can become quite messy when arguments are started on here. [you can say a flute stinks if specific flute you are talking about actually has an odor, but others might be insulted if it is just a general statement about a company].

And besides, an instrument's playing quality is also largely dependant on the individual playing the instrument.

briolette

Post by briolette »

And besides, an instrument's playing quality is also largely dependant on the individual playing the instrument.
Indeed. In fact, I think a good flautist with solid technique and mature expression can really make any instrument sound fabulous. The upgraded features and metals are just bells and whistles. I think often people feel that if they get a super expensive flute, they'll automatically sounds great, but that's not really the case.

shortandsilly

Re: Poll- What kind of flute do you have?

Post by shortandsilly »

Kristin wrote:I didn''t see a post like this
anywhere and with all the talk about what flutes are good, etc. etc. etc., I
thought I''d ask [:)] Soo... what kind of flute do you play? To answer my own
question, I have a Yamaha Allegro... I just looked on it to see the name of the
model but my eyes aren''t being kind (I have very bad vision) and no one''s
home to ask, LOL. It''s solid silver with a gold-plated **embouchure**(spelled
to everyone''s satisfaction?) piece and open-holed keys, offset G, and B-foot.
I got it for Christmas [:bigsmile:]. (I was previously playing on a
student-model Yamaha). I love my flute so much, LOL. I suppose that''s good,
considering what my parents paid, heh. So, your turn!

heh, you're going to get a kick out of this..I have an all silver (silver plate silver keys, silver body) closed hole, two hundred dollar Borg flute from the local Sam's store. Yep.. basically the crappiest flute on the planet. I also have a used all silver, closed hole, gemeinhard with a loose cork and dents that i nvr use because it doesn't work(not because of the brand but because of all the damages..). although i love my piece of crap borg to death, i really need a new flute..one with a gold plate, open holes, and good quality.(and possibly with a key to play bottom octave b natural..) hopefully for chirstmas..:/

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

shortandsilly wrote: i really need a new flute..one with a gold plate, open holes, and good quality.(and possibly with a key to play bottom octave b natural..) hopefully for chirstmas..:/
Why should you need a "gold plate" (I assume you mean gold plated lip?) or open holes, or a B foot? Certainly a higher quality flute may be in order, but don't make assumptions about what you want or need until you've done some research and played some flutes.

shortandsilly

Post by shortandsilly »

flutepicc06 wrote:
shortandsilly wrote: i really need a new flute..one with a gold plate, open holes, and good quality.(and possibly with a key to play bottom octave b natural..) hopefully for chirstmas..:/
Why should you need a "gold plate" (I assume you mean gold plated lip?) or open holes, or a B foot? Certainly a higher quality flute may be in order, but don't make assumptions about what you want or need until you've done some research and played some flutes.
well..i guess i don't really NEED it..at all..my flute plays fine..it is only really an idea of what i want...i still have yet to go flute shopping...

♥

naflute10

Post by naflute10 »

I have a student model all stirling silver Emerson. I love it!

remnantpark

Post by remnantpark »

"remnantpark-- I would be careful about bashing certain brands. Just because you dont particularly like your instrument doesnt say much as to quality for the entire brand. For many people, the instrument they have, is the only one that they can afford, and if you make comments that put a certain brand down, then it can be taken quite offensively.

So, I would be careful when it comes to saying whether a certain kind of flute 'stinks' or not because it can become quite messy when arguments are started on here. [you can say a flute stinks if specific flute you are talking about actually has an odor, but others might be insulted if it is just a general statement about a company].

And besides, an instrument's playing quality is also largely dependant on the individual playing the instrument."

Um yeah. Sorry. Misconception.
I didn't mean the brand, I mean particularly just /my/ flute, how my mom hates to spend money and I can't get rid of the "click click noises"...My teacher told me to get a new one. :?
Bad wording.[/quote]