Poll- What kind of flute do you have?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I figured that was your intention.... but I just wanted to warn you that intentions dont always come across correctly in writing. Myself and a few others have learned this lesson the hard way, and I was just trying to make sure you didnt make the same mistake.

But... no harm done. I was just giving a forewarning bit of advice. No offense was taken.

remnantpark

Post by remnantpark »

Yeah, I understand.

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

One could do much worse than a "stinking" Armstrong...have you had it serviced recently (within a year)? A good technician could likely pinpoint the source of the extraneous noise. :D
"There is no 'Try'; there is only 'Do'."--Yoda

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I had an open hole silver plated Gemeinhardt in college that I absolutely hated, but it was alll I could afford at the time. I knew a tech in the area that worked on instruments out of his home and he told me that if I would let him overhaul it, it would be like new. At that point, I figured that if the flute was damaged, I would just HAVE to have another one so I let him do it. Two weeks later, I got it back and it was amazing! I played that flute through college and a few years after. I even had several comments on how it played by others who tried it. When I finally sold it to a student of mine, it was about 12 years old and still played great due to the caring nature of my tech who would check it for me at no charge every year een after I moved.

Yes, a good tech can do wonders. I strongly recommend that my students have their flutes checked every six months. Once during Christmas break and once during summer break. The tech can pick up on even the slightest leaks that you don't know are there as well as other problems that we often compensate for not knowing why.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I agree. I need to have mine adjusted..... it hasnt been worked on in about a year...... and I can definately tell that I am compensating for some things [lost action in the A key and such].

remnantpark

Post by remnantpark »

My teacher is basically convincing me to get rid of my flute and get a new one...

drumajorchick

Post by drumajorchick »

I play a Geimenhardt 2SS. It has the offset G, C#trill keys and the b-foot keys. Also, it is open hole. I have had it since 2002. It has been a wonderful instrument. I have never had any problems with it, well, beside one little incident(my fault).

I also have a student addition armstrong. (not the best thing in the world) I started out on that when I was 11.
Music is the Fundamental Skill of Life!!!

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Gemeinhardt doesn't offer a C# trill option on the 2 series instruments. Are you sure you have a C# trill? Or is this model number from before some shift in their numbering system?

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Could it be a Split E mech by any chance? I know that the players in my flute studion cant tell the difference between the two [ even though they look VERY different]. But, I cant blame them. The technical aspects of the flute just isnt something that they are interested in..... although they were absolutely shocked that I could tell all of them the brand, model, and specs of their flute at a glance without looking at the barrel of the flute.... :wink:

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

fluteguy18 wrote:they were absolutely shocked that I could tell all of them the brand, model, and specs of their flute at a glance without looking at the barrel of the flute.... :wink:
It's funny...For the most part I can tell the make of a flute just by looking at the style of the key cups. That little trick always surprises people.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Yeah. that is how I do it. The key cup is the first give away. then when determining the specs, looking at whether the G is inline or offset [ like with yamaha how an inline flute ends with 81 or 84 *** 781/784*** and an offset ends with a 71 or 74 ***771/774****]. I have also gotten to where on a few of them I can tell them what headjoint they have by looking at the embouchure cut and not the stamp on the headjoint.

That was a shocker to a few of them. but it is still a skill in the process of learning.

drumajorchick

Post by drumajorchick »

You know I did some looking up on it. I was totally mistaken. The, what I thought was a c# trill key, was a split e mech. My mistake.
Music is the Fundamental Skill of Life!!!

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

No biggie. This is a common error of those who arent [in lack of a better term] obsessed/ highly interested with flute construction. Most people know that they have this key that does this one thing.....

No big deal. :wink:

Mark

Post by Mark »

hmmm... interesting thought... what kind of flute do I have.. :lol:

Quena, maker: unknown...
Quena, maker: Me
various NAf's maker: Me
Anasazi Maker: Me

oh.. the other ones.. :lol:
lessee...
a little Gemeinhardt M2 that I play at red lights and lunch
an Armstrong 104 that leans in the corner for quick thoughts..
and my Conservarte that has been my main flute since I decided
to go with something that had keys.. :lol:

And then varoius others that come my way in varying stages of restoration
prior to me sending them to live with someone who needs a flute.
I tend to play them for a few weeks before giving them away to make
sure of my repairs. :)

mark

sidekicker

Post by sidekicker »

My previous response, now edited:

I play on a 1967 Handmade B-Foot silver Haynes, inline G, open holed; recently added a Burkart head (M2 style), silver w/ 14K gold riser (I highly recommend Burkart to anyone looking for great headjoints). I recently added a 14K Brannen-Cooper (Modified Cooper style) headjoint that, IMO, is exquisite. So now I'm both a huge Burkart and Brannen fan, at least when it comes to heads. And Brannen flutes, which I recently had the opportunity to retry, have jumped to the top of my wish list for my next instrument, which in all likelihood be entirely 14K.

SK