I need some advice for buying a new flute!

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

FluttiTutti

I need some advice for buying a new flute!

Post by FluttiTutti »

I've just considered getting a new flute, but not sure if it's worth it or not. Here's the situation:

I've had 1 flute my whole life, the one I got when I first started band in 5th grade. I'm a sophmore now, so I've had it for 5 years. When I bought it it was a used flute. It's an Armstrong 104.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a better flute, not that this one isn't good. It's just that since I started marching band, my flute has gotten real beat up. It's been on the rain, in the grass, on concrete, etc...

But I don't think I'm going to continue band when I'm in college, so I only have 2 more years left.

I was looking at getting a Pearl 501 (even that's a little high for me, lol) but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Not because of the price, but because I will only use it for 2 more years.

------------------------------

What do you guys think? Thanks for advice! =D

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

If you only intend to play for 2 more years, perhaps your money would be better spent on reconditioning your current instrument. An overhaul could put it in next-to-new condition, which should make it play quite a bit better, since it's seen it's fair share of abuse via marching. Unless you're really feeling limited musically, the fact that you're flute's not in great shape isn't the best reason to get a new one. Have you had annual COA's and at least one overhaul done in the time you've had the flute? If not, it's high time for one, whether you get another instrument or not. You might be shocked by the results. I'd also suggest having a look at the FAQ we're putting together to get a few ideas about whether or not to upgrade, and what to look for if you do.

FluttiTutti

Post by FluttiTutti »

lol since I have a limited vocabulary, what is a COA? (And where can I get it done, approx. cost?, basic details?)

Thanks!

I haven't had any reconditions on my flute, ever :oops:

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

FluttiTutti wrote:lol since I have a limited vocabulary, what is a COA? (And where can I get it done, approx. cost?, basic details?)

Thanks!

I haven't had any reconditions on my flute, ever :oops:
A COA is a Clean, Oil, and Adjust. Basically, it's the regular (annually at least) maintainance that your flute should have to keep it in the best possible playing condition between overhauls. Basically it involves taking the flute apart, cleaning it gently, flushing the old oil out, applying new oil, making adjustments to remove lost motion, and replacing the headjoint cork. Some techs will do more or less (some may reseat a pad if necessary, some may not replace the headjoint cork, etc.). The cost will vary depending on your area, the tech, and your flute (some techs charge more for top of the line flutes). I have my COAs done by one of the best techs on the west coast, and it costs $150-$200. I have a COA done on a different instrument by a less skilled tech for as little as $60. Things are more expensive, in CA, though, so depending on where you are and who your tech is, it may cost significantly less. As for where to go to get that done, I would say a flute tech (specializes in flutes) is the best option. A band instrument repairman (works on many different instruments) probably could do the work, but chances are the results would be less satisfactory.

sidekicker

Post by sidekicker »

Flutepicc is correct in my book. There's no logical reason (unless you are just flowing in cash) to upgrade to a newer flute since you plan to discontinue playing for the most part in just two more years. Get your current flute reconditioned; you'll be very happy with the results and save lots of dough.

SK