How old is this Yamaha YPC 62 piccolo

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Anaflute

How old is this Yamaha YPC 62 piccolo

Post by Anaflute »

I’m currently in the market for a piccolo and would like to purchase a decent wood piccolo. I found a Yamaha YPC 62 used piccolo through my local music store. The serial number is 16378. What I do know about its history is that it was traded into the store in 2011 and has been a rental in the subsequent years. The label and logo on the piccolo does not look contemporary. I was wondering how to find out how old it is and then what to do with that information.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0yxZtte ... kGbDiiqwoQ

pied_piper

Re: How old is this Yamaha YPC 62 piccolo

Post by pied_piper »

AFAIK, Yamaha does not publish serial numbers. You could try contacting Yamaha to see what they can tell you about the instrument.

I have a YPC-62 that I bought about 10 years ago and it is a decent piccolo. The logo on mine is a bit different than the one in your photo. Personally, I would be less concerned about the age of the instrument than it's condition, when it was last serviced (i.e. when a COA was performed on it) and what warranty the store will provide. I have various instruments ranging from new to nearly 100 years old. As long as instruments are maintained properly, age is not particularly relevant.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--