Pearl ST-700RB. Ever heard of it?

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

nospammerz@pobox.com

Pearl ST-700RB. Ever heard of it?

Post by nospammerz@pobox.com »

I've recently acquired a used flute, Pearl ST-700RB, from someone who knew very little about it. I like this flute, but would love to know more about the specifics.

Is anyone familiar with the models that Pearl offers? In googling, I was able to determine that the RB means "open holed, B-foot", but can't find any solid information about the ST category or the 700 series. I've emailed Pearl directly, and heard nothing.

Here are my questions: When did Pearl make this model? (There was a time when Pearl had the motto, "One flute, one maker," meaning that only one person was involved in all parts of a flute's construction. I wonder if this one is from that time...) Was it made in Japan or Taiwan? Are any parts of it solid silver? Is the embouchure hand-cut?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, or can point me in the direction to get them answered, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Blossom

Drummer_Girl

Post by Drummer_Girl »

dunno much about pearl as a flute maker as ive only been playing flute for a week.. but i can tell ya everythign u wud wanna know about pearl drums! lol
___,,,,__________________Q_Q_Q_\_Q____________,_;_=====,___,
(___()_________)_____,_O_O_~_~_~====_PPPP____Q_Q__G__G____)
'

nospammerz@pobox.com

The answers...

Post by nospammerz@pobox.com »

I'm posting a reply to my own question so that other people don't have to duplicate my research to get the answers.

Here's what I've pieced together from various sources - flutists, dealers and repair people.

The ST-700RB is about 20-25 years old. The ST stands for "Silver Tube". RB means "Regular, B-Foot". (Regular means open-holed in Pearl model numbers.)

The 700 series has remained the same since the time this flute was made - solid silver head, body and foot. One repair person says that the silver they used is a special alloy called coin silver. It's .900 sterling instead of .925. The modern equivalent is the Elegante 795RB.

A dealer who has sold Pearl flutes since the time when this was made says that it is not only assembled by one person, but that it is actually handmade. You can tell this by looking closely at all three parts of the flute for a small stamp. On mine it reads "V5". This was used to ensure that the pieces which were made together didn't get separated during inspection and packing. You can also tell by looking closely at the mechanisms, especially the B/Bb levers and the F/F#/Bb clutch. They are works of art, hand-carved with an astounding precision.

On the downside, however, my repair person says that she worked on one of these a few months ago and found that they have a strange pad system. The pads are very thin and hard with a plastic stabilizer. She was able to replace them with Straubinger pads only by retaining the original stabilizers. If you find an instrument that doesn't have the original stabilizers, you're out of luck because Pearl stopped using this system a long time ago.

I also neglected to mention in my original post that the intonation of this flute is incredible. It feels sturdy and well-made yet extremely delicate and responsive. Others have called Pearl "the best value in flutes" and I have to agree. If you can find one in good used condition, grab it. You may pay more for re-pads, but it will never come close to the price you'd have to pay for another flute of this quality. This is my first step-up flute, and performs so well that I'm sure I'll never need another.