Help with crescendo

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

oxymoron123

Help with crescendo

Post by oxymoron123 »

I am getting a little frustrated at this point. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to crescendo/decrescendo without going sharp and flat. Yes, I know support etc., but I have tried this and the only thing I can do right now to stay in tune is roll in or out accordingly. Thanks.

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

Don't roll, this will cause general instability and change your tone quality from note to note. Do you own the Trevor Wye tone practice book? Also, an inexpensive chromatic tuner (about $25-$30). These are good exercises with which to practice proper intonation. The notes are almost all arranged chromatically, so you progress from low to high on your flute, "spreading" the presumably better tone and intonation from your comfortable middle register into the higher and lower registers. In order to avoid going flat or sharp, the opening (aperture) through which the air is passing must remain the same shape for a given note, but become smaller (softer) or slightly larger. Check out Jennifer Cluff's (very excellent!) quite-detailed collection of articles for lots of information.
http://www3.telus.net/Garry_McKevitt/ :D

Mfreak2007

Post by Mfreak2007 »

I think that it all depends on the kind of flute that you have how you should do it. I know that with mine I have to roll it.