Tounguing?

Performace Tips, Advanced Technique and More

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

tiffloser

Tounguing?

Post by tiffloser »

After 6 1/2 years of playing, I have realized I do not properly tongue. The actual problem is not my tongue, but the fact that I do not use my tongue but rather the back of my throat. I have thought that I am possibly articulating using my glottis(sp.) - if thats the right word. Any ideas of what I am actually doing and ways to correct it?

apleasuretoburn

Post by apleasuretoburn »

For a long time I was doing the same thing. I fixed it with practise, basically. I was given studies with lots of articulation and I would go through them slowly, making a conscious effort to touch the tip of my tongue to the roof of my mouth, just behind the teeth (like a "tu" sound). Just practise it slowly at first, and eventually it will just become second nature to you.

tiffloser

Post by tiffloser »

Thank you :D

apleasuretoburn

No problemo! I played for years in high school band before I had any professional instruction, so I've seen, had, and corrected MANY technique problems haha.

tiffloser

Post by tiffloser »

Hahaha yeah I'm a sophomore in high school and just began private lessons and it's hard to re-learn things you are already good at.

apleasuretoburn

Definately. I was always the hot shot player in high school who got all the solos in band and everything... then I got private lessons and learned that I couldn't tongue properly, stand properly, hold the flute properly, basically I had to be reworked from the ground up. By this time I had been playing for 6 years and thought I was pretty good, so it was a bit of a blow to the ego and I ended up having to work really hard to correct everything. It sucked, but at least when I start teaching it will give me some idea of how to help others with similar problems.