Recommend Good Flute Instruction Book...

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

BrightFlute

Post by BrightFlute »

Personally, I take my students through the Rubank series. I have used the WYE series for masterclasses, however, they are great for lessons also. Quite frankly, all the suggestions posted here are good. I would look at a few of these in a music store and decide how you want to proceed. My main suggestion is that once you choose a book series, stick with that series through all it's books. They are designed in progressive order. If you take the beigginer book in one series, and jump to the second book in another, you will probably find skill gaps. - Terri

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I also use Rubank (for most students), but they are not very popular among other teachers here. I like them because they are fairly easy to understand and cover a variety of material (keys (major and monor), articulations, scales, arpeggios, solos, duets, etudes, etc. One "complaint" is that they are old and outdated which I strongly disagree with. I have also used Wye and Moyse in both my studio and my own study, but Rubank seems to be very comprehensive and inexpensive.

Sir_F.L.Ute

Post by Sir_F.L.Ute »

Once you've been playing a while and want to really develop your tone, I would highly recommend Moyse's De la Sonorite.
Perfection is made up of trifles.

mgrosso

Trevor Wye Omnibus 1-5 and book 6

Post by mgrosso »

Hi,

I just starting playing flute and I read the reviews about the Omnibus series by Trevor Wye so I took the advice and bought it through Amazon.com. I bought the package with the book 6 for $38.00.

I just got it the other day and I was so excited to start learning, but the first section is Tone and it doesn't show you how to play the notes. Am I missing something?? I thought it would've included a finger chart or something to show you how to play the notes. Then it talked about bugels or something, but it didn't explain what it was or how to do it.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:

juneroses

Post by juneroses »

Rubank Book Elementry Level or The I Reccomend book which has lots of warm-ups. 40 little pieces is a nice little book to own too.

BrightFlute

Julius Baker Book

Post by BrightFlute »

Krazy Flutist, what is the name of the Julius Baker book that is similar to the rubank, but more advanced? I have not heard of it, but would like to start using it with students. I also agree that the melodius and prog studies can get a bit tedius. I don't use it much. Students think it's boring.

auletes83

Post by auletes83 »

BrightFlute--
I also have Baker's book and I love it: it's just called "Daily Exercises for the Flute." I highly recommend it, although, like most exercise books, it does get rather tedious. I think that's rather unavoidable, though, if you seriously want to improve your technique and tone. Wouldn't you agree?
"Sometimes patriotism means defending your country against its government."--Edward Abbey

Schof

Post by Schof »

Advanced Method is super. I never used books really as a beginner, I just used music that my teacher gave me.

nancyjmcd

Beginner Flute Book

Post by nancyjmcd »

Greetings from Texas!

I'm also just starting and am doing well with "How to Play the Flute" by Howard Harrison. I ordered it from Amazon.com It progresses the student in easy stages and really offers a lot for the price; with the online discount it was less than the retail price of $10.95.

Regards, Nancy

jayneice

Nice advanced methods book companion

Post by jayneice »

I use a variety of materials, but I recently bought Rubanks Selected Studies for flute. There are major scales exercises and variations then a major peice and coordinating minor piece. These pieces are challenging, probably 3+(easiest) to 5+ in difficulty. I use this book in combination with Rubanks advanced I. It keeps my students from becoming bored as well as keeping them on th eir toes.

Fluteorama

Flute

Post by Fluteorama »

Can any body tell me where I can buy the Gaubert and Taffanel exercises (17 daily ones I think it's called) online?

I have searched all over the place but can't find anywhere online.

Thanks.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Have you tried fluteworld? If you email them, they may be able to help you out by placing a special order. They sometimes have more available than what is listed on their site.

Fluteorama

Post by Fluteorama »

I'll have a look thanks.

What I've been hearing from different topics is that fluteworld are quite expensive. Does any body know of anywhere cheaper?