For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

rthompson_london

I prefer flautist

Post by rthompson_london »

I guess I'm a creature of habit

drumajorchick

Post by drumajorchick »

I agree with alot of yall! I personally believe that it depends where the location is at. I visited London a couple of years ago and the say it as "flautist" and since it is commonly pronounced as "flutist" here in the states I thought that they were saying it completely incorrect! Well then finally I realized it did not really matter.

I used to say "flutist" but ever since I came back for London I have been saying "flautist"(I just like the way it sounds" :D
Music is the Fundamental Skill of Life!!!

*camillelucia*

Post by *camillelucia* »

Well, I've never actually heard the term flutist said aloud, but then again I have never been to America! When I go to England, I'm referred to as a flautist, but I guess they all mean the same thing!! :lol:

MonikaFL

Post by MonikaFL »

I prefer flutist... and I love the brief little chapter on this in Nancy Toff "The Flute Book" :D
Visit [url=http://www.monikadurbin.com/formiapress]Formia Press[/url] to check out my compositions and arrangements for flute and more.

fluteless

flutist? flautist?

Post by fluteless »

I don't remember the name of the comedian on Ed Sullivan who poked fun at the nomenclature:

Officer! Stop that man? He's flauting!

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

I like this explanation, since it seems to be grounded in historical facts. It compares flutist, flautist, flutenist, and a few others...

http://www.fenwicksmith.com/miscellany_flautist.html
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--