Flutist or flautist?

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

crazyaboutflute2393

Post by crazyaboutflute2393 »

When I was younger, I used to think flautist was a stupid word. But then I started saying it (even though I'm American), and now I'm used to it. I don't really cared what I'm called, as long as I get to play the darn thing! (As Phineas and flutepicc06 have said :wink: :D )

tjerome

Post by tjerome »

According to my dad, Dick Jerome (past partner of Verne Q. Powell Flutes), "the old man" (Powell) use to say that a flautist was an unemployed flutist!

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I dont think it really matters. It varies by region. Some say "Poe-Tay-toe", some say "poe-tah-toe". Same difference.

On a side note, the people in my flute studio at EKU have renamed our Eb flute. It is now dubbed the "Fliccolo".

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

That's cool that you have a soprano at the university....I've been looking to buy one of those (not so much because I need it, just because I enjoy unusual instruments).

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Yeah, I like odd instruments too ( i have a lot of simple system flutes). We never use the "fliccolo" but we do use the altos we have a lot. In one piece I play the alto part ( I love it). In one part of the piece (it is some watercolor sort of piece about rabbits), I get to make a "woof woof" sound with the alto, like a dog. :lol:

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Nice...I think I may have tracked down a soprano to buy (in playing condition nonetheless!), and I'm pretty excited about it!

musical_K

Post by musical_K »

of course - we all play the flute!!! :D
I'm english, so I was always always told it was "flautist" and that "flutist" was wrong, but I never believed it.
I think flutist makes much more sense, but talking in a conversation i would probably always say "flautist", just because it's been drummed into me that way.
But to be honest, how many times would you ever actually say either of them?! I can't actually ever remember saying "I am a flautist" - you would always just say "I play the flute" or "she plays the flute".

Language is a funny thing...... :D
And remember folks.....
!!! MUSIC MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND !!!

~Stormy~

Post by ~Stormy~ »

Well it really doesn't matter to be but being American i would have to say flutist...
~Stormy~