Help!!! sight reading.

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

flute_lover

Help!!! sight reading.

Post by flute_lover »

I am going to take my first exam which is a grade 4 exam on july 24th. Everthing is ready accept my sight reading. I just started flute at the end of last year. Still very new to music and all. Pls help. Thx in advance for all replys.

apleasuretoburn

Post by apleasuretoburn »

Things that I've found helpful when it comes to sightreading is to just do it every now and then. Take out a book of etudes or something you haven't looked at in awhile and just practise reading through the piece taking notice to as many elements as you can (the notes, articulations, dynamics, etc.) Don't worry so much about how fast your tempo is, worry more about maintaining as steady a tempo as possible and getting the correct rhythms.

Another thing I've found incredibly helpful is to practise scales and scale patterns! When you practise scales you create a sense of familiarity with that pattern, and many times when you are approaching a run of 16th notes that looked intimidating it's just a matter of recognizing whether or not it follows a pattern you are already familiar with. If the notes outline a G major scale then hey, you already know that! The ability to recognize patterns and repetition within a piece (whether it's scale patterns, rhythmic patterns, whatever) will help you enormously with regards to sightreading.