Should I quit?

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

exauror

Should I quit?

Post by exauror »

Hi everyone, I studied flute when I was 10 years old, now I'm 31 and thought it was a good idea to pick a flute and play. I brought a Yamaha 222 recently but I feel so demoralized. When I studied as a kid I could play just the first and maybe 2nd registers. Unfortunately, I can't afford any lessons at the moment. I am seriously frustrated about this situation.

Can you guys give me any advice? What should I do??

Thanks in advance.

Classitar

Re: Should I quit?

Post by Classitar »

Hi Exauror,

Why not play some simple melodies that you enjoy?
Given time - tone and technique can improve dramatically.

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

Hi Exauror,

Flute, or any woodwind instrument in general, tend to be "use it or lose part of it". This means if you do not pay often enough, you will have to build yourself back up. Another funny quirk is how practice seems to work. You work hard at practice with seeming little success. Then all of a sudden, almost overnight you play that difficult piece/exercise with ease. I have been playing over 30 years now. I still go through it.

Treat your "come back" like weight training. Start out with easier stuff and work your way back up. I used to tell my students to go to a sheet music website and find some of their favorite pop/rock/jazz tunes to learn. Then see if they can find a karaoke track to play with in the same key. If there is a specific advance chart they want to learn, just practice a few bars at a time until you can play it perfectly-ish, move to the next part of it, then try putting the smaller parts together over time. Also, if you can, find another musician to play with. Even if they play a different instrument. This will also help speed up your "comeback".

if you are consistent, you will reasonably be where you want to be before you know it. Stick to it!! Even it is only a few minutes a day.

frugal flutist

Post by frugal flutist »

Hi Exauror,
No don't quit.
There are lots of web resources for the self taught these days. Is that a new flute?
It's very hard to play any flute that has leaky pads, or dislodged springs!
Can you afford one lesson. A teacher, or any one that plays a flute, can tell you quickly if that flute is playable.

Christoff

Post by Christoff »

I have a somewhat similar experience as I played the flute for 4-5 years and then quit for almost 7 years.

There are many YouTube videos that are helpful to the self-taught flutist. Why not start with simpler tunes first?

Betthoi

Post by Betthoi »

Christoff wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:47 am
I have a somewhat similar experience as I played the flute for 4-5 years and then quit for almost 7 years.

There are many YouTube videos that are helpful to the self-taught flutist. Why not start with simpler tunes first?
This is exactly that I wanted to write here. It is important to understand why did you decide to get back to flute - always keep in mind your personal reason. Also do not wait for the fast results - it is impossible. Just enjoy your play!