losing my skills

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

silvermoon

losing my skills

Post by silvermoon »

I'v been playing the flute for 2.5 years almost. i play it fairly well and always get my fingerings right on any selection my teacher choses. recently, i moved to a new state, and of course, a new band class. everyday in class, i messed up my fingerings at least twice in every song. i practice everyday at home and does perfectly well, but in class, i blunder a lot. am i losing my flute playing skills?

pandagirl11

Post by pandagirl11 »

I don't think you're losing your skills. I think your blunders have more to do with the fact that maybe you're nervous about playing in front of people you don't know very well and you don't know what they expect from you.

silvermoon

Post by silvermoon »

i think it'll make a big difference when i tell you, i've been playing with the people for more than 9 weeks :(

pandagirl11

Post by pandagirl11 »

Don't worry about it. =P I've been playing with my strings orchestra for...over a year now and I'm still nervous about playing in front of them. Although, that may be because I don't take private violin lessons and I don't feel confident playing in front of others. =) Be confident of your talent!

ick27

Post by ick27 »

I think many players lose confidence or become depressed about their playing at some time (and better flutists than myself would agree with this.) I have had a couple playing myself crises over the years, and seriously considered quiting the flute all together. In retrospect, these times have probably helped my playing, since they prompted me to re-think how to play the flute. Changing your playing habits is always difficult to do and involves some mental discomfort, but I really think this is the path to rapid improvement.

Decide what things you like about your playing and what things you want to change the most. You mentioned playing wrong notes in band, is this the main sort of thing you'd like to improve?

embum79

Post by embum79 »

Do you have a private teacher? This may be a way to accelerate your skills and improve self-esteem.
Cheers,
Emily

LisaFlute2

Post by LisaFlute2 »

I have been looking back and older posts and such for the past couple days, as I just joined about 2-3 days ago, and what you are doing, is what I have been doing. I have really only been playing seriously for 7 months. At home I do much better with my playing. I get in our class, which I am the only adult, in about 10 kids, and I mess up much more. Then when we have concerts and I have to do a solo part, I shake and feel like I am having an axiety attack. I don't know how to stop it. I think that may be it is because at the age of 40, I am just beginning to get up in front of people, and if I had done it as a kid, I would of gotten use to it a lot faster. But I find in class, I wil mess up fingerings in a certain song, that I had down pat, at home. I do fine up on stage playing songs with everyone else, at least, when it comes to my shaking, but the instructor is trying to get me to get use to doing solos, as I mentioned one time, that it would be kind of fun to be able to get up and do worship service with our church. I am not sure that will ever happen, with my shaking and such, as I sike myself out when we are playing the song right before. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, I know how you feel, even though, I haven't been playing as long as you have.
~Lisa Flute2 ~

woof

Post by woof »

LisaFlute2 wrote:which I am the only adult, in about 10 kids, and I mess up much more. Then when we have concerts and I have to do a solo part, I shake and feel like I am having an axiety attack. I don't know how to stop it. I think that may be it is because at the age of 40, I am just beginning to get up in front of people, and if I had done it as a kid, I would of gotten use to it a lot faster. But I find in class, I wil mess up fingerings in a certain song, that I had down pat, at home. .
I can empathize with you cause I am even farther down the line than you- you are just a youngster (it is all relative). I have avoided teachers and classes for the reasons you mention. But there is a web site that is great source of information and I would especially point to the section on adult learners-- I could really see myself described in that information. so here is the web address and if you are interested read that essay on adult learners you may well see yourself there and understand why we are the way we are>> good luck and keep on keepin on...........

http://www3.telus.net/Garry_McKevitt/

LisaFlute2

Post by LisaFlute2 »

Thanks a bunch. I am going to go check out this site. I wouldn't of even tried lessons, if it wasn't for that I homeschool my two children and a newer music class came up at a local music store. The teacher is great and has been very enthusiastic about me being the class, he does point out how shy I am. My kid's aren't. In fact, I am usually asking them if they are for sure "my" kids. LOL As they volunteer for everything. It has been very nice to be able to play with them both. I have done duets and quartets with them, it has been very fun. Also, I just turned ffff...forty. :shock: So I am still getting use to saying it, without cringing.
~Lisa Flute2 ~

woof

Post by woof »

LisaFlute2 wrote: Also, I just turned ffff...forty. :shock: So I am still getting use to saying it, without cringing.
LOL just think, by the time you turn fffff...fifty you will be an excellent flutist!! And by the way fifty is not all that bad!!

Lesson are definately the way to go-

LisaFlute2

Post by LisaFlute2 »

LOL, I will remember this when I turn fifty...look back and see how far I have come with my flute playing. I am enjoying it so much. Thanks for brightening my day.
~Lisa Flute2 ~