New Flute Convert

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

CreativeWarrior

New Flute Convert

Post by CreativeWarrior »

Hi. I play sax in a couple of bands. An anonymous gifter bought me a flute for Christmas because I'd mentioned during some sessions how much I would enjoy adding long, soft flute notes to some of the songs. I also bragged that I would be able to learn the instrument quickly (because I'd heard that the fingerings were just like a sax's fingerings ... is that true?).

Now I sort of have to put up or shut up.

The instrument is a Gemeinhardt 3SB but I don't know what that means. It also read 'solid silver' on the side. Why does that matter? Or does it? Would someone help me figure out how much it might be worth? Also, what kind of head joint should I buy to make the windy (Native American) sound? As I said, I'm most interested in drawing long, windy notes from it.

Also, my embouchure sucks. I have trouble making a sound in this thing. I hesitate to buy a book on playing without at least seeing someone else do it. Most websites I've gone to tell me to pretend I'm blowing over a bottle top to make sound. But I've never blown over bottle tops. I learn well by imitating. Is there some place I can go to (Washington DC Metro area) to watch people play?

And is there anything else I should know about before playing the flute?

I want to start performing with it in six months, Is there any hope for me?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi there! It is very true that that fingerings for flute and saxophone are almost exactly the same. Unfortunately, the only way to develop your embouchure is to practise. It would be a very good idea to get a few lessons to start you off, besides being able to see someone else pla, you will probably get rid of some bad habits at the beggining which are extremely anoying to get rid of later. Although it is POSSIBLE to play well in 6 months, it is extremely unlikely and will require alot of practise especialy without lessons. The Gemeinhardt 3SB is and intermediate flute and should last you a long time, I have never personaly used a gemeinhardt flute mind you. Flute is hard at the beggining but it gets easier, try to get a teacher at least for a few lessons. Good luck!!!

Qapla'! :D

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Yes, it does take a bit of practice to get used to playing flute. Be patient, and I also agree that you should seek out a teacher for help. Maybe even consider an advanced highschooler? As for trying to get a nice woody native sound, I would suggest investing in a native american style flute. They are quite a bit easier to learn to play, but you are generally stuck with one or two keys per flute. I do not know where to purchase one, mine was a gift, but someone else here might know. Good luck! :)

Kim

Re: New Flute Convert

Post by Kim »

I recommend just starting with the headjoint. Just play with it a bit adjusting how much of the embochure hole you are covering with your top lip.
Also check out the website below. This woman has some great tips when it comes to flute playing.

http://www3.telus.net/Garry_McKevitt/tone2.htm

Good luck,

Kim

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

Hah. I played tenor sax all through high school...though my primary instrument is flute.
A lot of the flute fingerings and sax fingerings are indeed very similar, so they really shouldn't be too hard to pick up. Go to a music store and get a beginner's exercise book (I used Rubank for the longest time; it's decent though you might search this forum to find some better recommendations).
Rather than making more of a tight, "smiley" embochure as you would on a reed instrument, your sound will be much better if you push your lips forward when you blow down into the flute.
In all of honesty, if you play another instrument already, then you might be able to play the flute halfway decently in the next six months. You probably will NOT be a professional, but you could probably sound okay on it.
Also, spend like 20 minutes a day or something reading this forum; you could learn a lot about how to play and it will probably facilitate your learning process.
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]

flutist001

Post by flutist001 »

Well, I have played the flute for....5 years, and my brother started to play the alto sax this year. I have fiddled around with it, and have learned that I can not only play it better than he can, but i can also play to the end of the book (standard of excellence, volume one) without any lessons. So I'm guessing that the conversion from sax to flute might be pretty easy as well?

I would recommend buying a book. Particullarily (sp?) Standard of Excellence Volume 1 (red book) for Flute. It really worked for me, because as an eight grader I have played class A solos in our regional solo and ensemble competion and have gotten high scores. So, thats what I would reccomend.
[color=purple]¸.·*¯*·.AkS.·*¯*·.¸[/color]

powayflute01

Post by powayflute01 »

Mmm...speak for yourself...I'm not too fond of the Standard of Excellence books. They're not particularly bad; but I just don't think they are that helpful unless you've never played any instrument at all before and you're just picking up a wind instrument. In which case, I think some of the other books would be much more helpful.
Haha, this one is my favorite: :shock:
[size=75]I <3 LXA[/size]