Vintage Artley Student Model Flute early serial #

Support Questions, Tips and General Info

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Linda L

Re: Vintage Artley Student Model Flute early serial #

Post by Linda L »

Pictures would definitely help. I am wondering, from your description, and the person telling you it was in a "funny" key, if you don't have an Eb soprano flute. Most Eb flutes are two-piece instruments. It would also help it you could give us the assembled length of the instrument.

Even in rough shape, as you have described, an Eb flute would have some value, as they are not made any longer. They are enjoying a resurgence in flute choir ensembles.

The other "funny key" two piece possibility is a Db piccolo. Although piccolos are much shorter and smaller than a traditional flute.

Post some pictures and we can help you more.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

New members are moderated and do not initially have the ability to post photos. After you have made a few posts, you are automatically taken off of the moderated status and then you will be able to upload and attach photos.

26 1/2 inches is about the right length for a standard C flute.

Does yours look like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-2-PIE ... 7675.l2557

If so, you have a 2-piece C flute. Artley did make these for a while, and while they are not real common, they are not particularly valuable. In the example above, you can see that it recently sold for a little over $100. They are mostly desirable as a novelty item...
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

sister c wrote:My flute does look like that one, though a different model. A bit older and the case is black with the Artley name in a brass plack.
Don't know why I would have been told that it is in a different key then what flutes now are in(the fellow was a music teacher!). Does that seem likely?

Would e bay or craigs list be the play to sell an instrument like that? or maybe if it is a key that can play with other instruments, would it be a good one to learn to play on? And finally, is $125 about what it would be worth?

Much thanks folks. What a great and friendly place. Will tell my daughter and niece (both flute players) about this sight.

Ciao. :D
c
Well, this type of flute is not seen very often, so don't be too disappointed in the music teacher. I do some repair work so I see more odd instruments than most folks...

Most older Artley flutes do not sell for very much. On eBay, they more typically sell for less than $50, if they sell at all. I see a lot there that never sell. The example that I posted was a bit of a rarity. That one had a French style case and was the Dynatone model which may have contributed to the slightly higher selling price. Of course the condition affects the sales price. If the flute needs any pads, it probably won't sell for much if at all.

eBay vs. Craigslist - eBay provides a global market, so an ad will be seen by more people, but you have to pay them a selling fee. Craigslist is free but it tends to be more regional so fewer people will see it. eBay buyers expect to pay by PayPal or a charge card. Craigslist is often cash and carry.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--