New concerto for flute & flute ensemble

Specifics of Performing Flute Repertoire, such as Articulation, Phrasing, Tone, Tempo, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

odhecaton

New concerto for flute & flute ensemble

Post by odhecaton »

Hi Flutelanders!
I hope you don't mind me sharing a brand new flute concerto with you, for flute and flute ensemble.
It's called ...que la tierra se partió por su sonido, and was written for the inimitable Trudy Kane and the Frost Flute Ensemble, who just premiered it a couple weeks ago.

The title comes from this verse: “Then all the people went up after him, playing flutes and rejoicing with great joy, so that the earth split with their sound.” - 1 Kings 1:40
It's not often you think of flutes having the power to bring down walls or split the earth; that metaphor is usually reserved for instruments like trumpets, brass, or percussion. So I was intrigued by the notion of flutes splitting the earth, the ground. The ensemble is also split: It's scored for six piccolos (3 stage left, 3 stage right), two altos, and two bass flutes.

Here is a webpage where you can view and download the pdf of the score, stream the audio, and watch the video of the premiere with Trudy:
http://www.lansingmcloskey.com/fluteconcerto.html

Thanks!
Lansing McLoskey

Classitar

Re: New concerto for flute & flute ensemble

Post by Classitar »

Thanks for posting!
Congratulations, very impressive !

odhecaton

Post by odhecaton »

For anyone interested (in this old, dusty thread :-), the concerto is being at NFA 2023 in Phoenix, on the closing concert of the convention, with Trudy Kane and the NFA Professional Flute Choir.
Please say 'hello' if you're there!

Classitar

Post by Classitar »

Congratulations!
It must be a great pc!