Flute's G key not working

Taking care of your instrument

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Mineboylolipop

Flute's G key not working

Post by Mineboylolipop »

Hello! So my flutes key G is not working properly, when I play G# its perfect. But when I do G it does not sound right its either feeling weird from the headjoint to the key G or it sounds like a bad F# tone. The day before yesterday it played perfect but now i don't know i had this problem since yesterday. I checked if the pads are closed properly. I tried playing with the screws and so but nothing worked. I don't have an instrumment shop near me or anything. Anyone might have any idea? Please any ideas would not hurt trying I'm so sad i can't play the flute now... :shock:

Oh btw sometimes the G comes back then just goes away and sounds bad again...

pied_piper

Re: Flute's G key not working

Post by pied_piper »

Well, "playing with the screws" is highly ill advised if you are not trained in instrument repair. It's sort of like opening the hood of an automobile and playing with every nut, bolt, or adjustment that you see. It's likely that whatever was wrong, if you moved any adjustment screws, you've likely made it worse or caused new problems.

Is it only the G that is not playing correctly or can you play notes below G? (F, E D, Low C?)
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

Mineboylolipop

Post by Mineboylolipop »

pied_piper wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm
Well, "playing with the screws" is highly ill advised if you are not trained in instrument repair. It's sort of like opening the hood of an automobile and playing with every nut, bolt, or adjustment that you see. It's likely that whatever was wrong, if you moved any adjustment screws, you've likely made it worse or caused new problems.

Is it only the G that is not playing correctly or can you play notes below G? (F, E D, Low C?)
pied_paper i did not exactly play with the screws i only checked if some were lose or something and i did it with care for example if i did 4 turns then i reveresed them to exact. and yes i can play the notes below the only problem is the key G

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

Does your flute have a split E?
--anonymous--

Mineboylolipop

Post by Mineboylolipop »

pied_piper wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 pm
Does your flute have a split E?
Yes! My flute is E mechanism or so my friend told me.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

OK, so with Split-E, when you play G, the G lever is supposed to close the double G/G# keys. Because you can play lower notes but not G, the lever indicated by "G" (with a screw) in the photo is probably not closing both the G/G# keys. When you play notes with the E key, it properly closes the G key via the "E" lever indicated in the photo.

With a jeweler's screwdriver that fits the "G" adjustment screw (in the photo it shows a Philips screw but many flutes have a slotted screw), turn it 1/8th of a turn clockwise and try playing the G again. If it plays, you are finished. If not repeat the screw adjustment another 1/8th turn and try playing again. Don't move the screw more than about a 1/2 turn. If that doesn't fix the problem, return the screw back to it's original position and seek a repair tech to check it over and repair it.

Let us know if the adjustment screw solves your problem.
Attachments
Split-E.jpg
Split-E.jpg (118.3 KiB) Viewed 52852 times
--anonymous--

Mineboylolipop

Post by Mineboylolipop »

pied_piper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:25 pm
OK, so with Split-E, when you play G, the G lever is supposed to close the double G/G# keys. Because you can play lower notes but not G, the lever indicated by "G" (with a screw) in the photo is probably not closing both the G/G# keys. When you play notes with the E key, it properly closes the G key via the "E" lever indicated in the photo.

With a jeweler's screwdriver that fits the "G" adjustment screw (in the photo it shows a Philips screw but many flutes have a slotted screw), turn it 1/8th of a turn clockwise and try playing the G again. If it plays, you are finished. If not repeat the screw adjustment another 1/8th turn and try playing again. Don't move the screw more than about a 1/2 turn. If that doesn't fix the problem, return the screw back to it's original position and seek a repair tech to check it over and repair it.

thanks i will try that!

Mineboylolipop

Post by Mineboylolipop »

pied_piper wrote:

it did not fix t
but like i feel like from the headjoint
the air to the key G is not right
its either its not getting the air or its like i don't know air stuck?
i Can't explain it well but the air is not right i can feel it from the headjoint when playing key G the sound comes back sometimes
but then goes away the other second

I sadly don't have repair shop/tech do you have any more ideas? I really miss playing the flute...

Mineboylolipop

Post by Mineboylolipop »

pied_piper wrote:

I managed to fix it but it was spring pop on one key

CesarC12

Post by CesarC12 »

pied_piper wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

hi yes i have the same problem the G key F,E, D, and low c keys aren't working either i have a split E flute how do i fix it