A and Bb key mechanism fail due to key bend

Taking care of your instrument

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

LapLace

A and Bb key mechanism fail due to key bend

Post by LapLace »

I was adjusting and putting regulating on my flute after replacing the pad when I notice that when I tried to press the A the Bb does not respond. F key and the Bb level trigger the Bb key closure just fine with no leaks.
Upon further inspection I noticed that the screw mechanism, that allows regulation of A and Bb, is horrifically off.
The adjustment screw barely touch the small bottom level plate that control the Bb movement. So when I press the A key, the screw didn't even push the level down to closed the Bb key
How can I resolve this issue, should I bend the A key in a certain way? Thanks you so much for reading, appreciate any response

frugal flutist

Re: A and Bb key mechanism fail due to key bend

Post by frugal flutist »

Try turning the adjustment screw next to the "A" key clockwise 1/8 of a turn. See what happens! Do it again, and again if you have to. Small adjustments of regulating keys make a big difference. If you go to far turn it back a little.

JButky

Re: A and Bb key mechanism fail due to key bend

Post by JButky »

There is usually a bit of square paper glued to the tab to quiet the mechanism. They often become unglued and fall out. You probably need to replace that and then attempt the regulation again...
Joe B