Another Intermediate Flute Question

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

rjg60

Post by rjg60 »

I am upgrading my flute from a gemeinhardt 2sp to an intermediate flute. I have been playing the gemeinhardt for the past 3 years when I first started flute. I also took up the flute at the age of 52. I am looking to upgrade to improve the tone and tinny sound of my flute. My instrcutor has an open hole silver headpiece with silver plated body and footjoint and even with my headjoint on his flute I can hear the difference. There is really no large store in my area to try several flutes so I would like to know people's experiece with the trial programs from fluteworld, BL Smith etc. Most posts seem to favor a Yamaha but there other makers on the sites that come recommended which I would also like to try. Also I noticed in many cases the list of flutes in these websites are open holes and I prefer the closed hole. I am not keen on learning to position my fingers just right plus I have a small hand and fingers. My price range is around $1500. I do not need a B foot but would like an offset G and at least the "doughnut" in the "G" to help facilitate the high "E". Of course a siver head piece.
Thanks, Randy

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Those flute trial programs are great. You'll need to do some research and find the one that seems best for your circumstances. Some will put holds on you credit cards for the full value of the flutes, others do only part of the value....Some will let you keep the flutes for 10 days or more, and others for as few as 3 days. Yamahas a re solid instruments, but just like any other flute, won't work for everyone, so it's great that you're already planning to try out others. If you'd like further information, we have a Flute FAQ thread that we're working on, and I believe the intermediate flute section is pretty complete. I would suggest takin a read through that, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

c_otter

Post by c_otter »

I used one of those programs to try piccolos from the Carolyn Nussbaum shop. It was great; I got to play the piccolos at rehearsal, in front of other people, with a tuner, and had a bit of time to make up my mind which one I wanted. I was also able to explore different headjoint options that the flute makers have. The downside to these programs is that it gets expensive to try a large number of flutes because you do pay for shipping.

I'm also looking to upgrade my flute, but the city I live in doesn't have much variety for intermediate or upper-level flutes. One place to try a large number of flutes is at a flute festival. Also, some companies, such as J. L. Smith, will have "roadshows". You can contact different companies to see if they have any plans to be in your area. I've used these options to start narrowing down my choice of flutes.

rjg60

Post by rjg60 »

Thank you for your replies.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I recently discussed the trial program with fluteworld because I will probably be upgrading to a handmade model instrument, and here is the procedure at fluteworld.

First, I reccommend calling them to place the order rather than doing it online. When you order the instrument, make sure that they understand that you want to do the trial period. So, they will put a hold on your bank account/ credit card for the value of the flute. If you do not request the trial period, they will treat is as a purchase, and will take payment immediately rather than waiting a week. Also, if you are considering trying out different headjoints, you must request them to send a different headjoint, and a hold will be put on your account for the instrument and the second headjoint. Upon returning the second headjoint, they will only take payment for the instrument.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I also recommend that you call when you know that you will have time to spend with the instrument. I know it sounds like common sense, but for instance, I don't recommend trying a flute when you are not going to have time to play as you do on a regular basis or you are not going to be at home. Take it to your lesson and discuss it with your instructor. I also recommend trying several at a time. Most importantly, don't be afraid to send them back if they are not what you really want. That is what the trial is for.

I have several students who have purchased flutes through Flute World and two from Carolyn Nussbaum. Both companies are very knowledgeable as welll as understanding. If you are unsure of something, ask questions (especially about policy and pricing). They will answer, and there are no such things as stupid questions.

I actually like this process better than trying at a shop or convention because there is no one pressuring you to go one way or another. It is completely up to you and what you feel is the best flute.