flute case is disintegrating!

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

spikejazz

flute case is disintegrating!

Post by spikejazz »

:roll:
Has anyone had this problem? A couple pieces of foam inside my case (from a 1995 Haynes flute) are disintegrating and there are nasty sticky dark gray foam crumbs all over my case and flute!!! I'm trying to clean it and repair it myself. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this. It freaked me out. Thanks.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

If the foam is falling apart, you can't easily save it or repair it. I suspect you have a cheap, replacement case rather than the original Haynes case. AFAIK, Haynes flutes normally come from the factory in a nice, hardshell french-style case rather than a case that's made entirely of foam and covered with fabric.

If that's the case (no pun intended), consider buying a good quality replacement case.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

spikejazz

Post by spikejazz »

no, it's the original case. The foam is covered by the velvet lining, but that came unglued and the foam crumbled out onto my flute. When I called Haynes today they said they get their cases from Northwind. I'm just trying to replace the foam with cottonballs and glue it all back. Not sure what kind of glue to use on velvet. It's not worth buying a whole new case. PS the leather cover that came with the flute....the foam padding inside disintegrated like this within 5 years and I threw it away. Where I live is very hot and humid.

Marceye

Re: flute case is disintegrating!

Post by Marceye »

Hi there, I am working on such a case and wonder if you ever found an answer to the gray foam issue. I wonder was it a spongy or more of a hard foam? Was it’s function to hold the flute in place when the case was closed.
I would really appreciate some feedback.
Thank you
Marc