Upgrading a new flute.. Brannen, Haynes or Muramatsu?

Performace Tips, Advanced Technique and More

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

belen.conte

Upgrading a new flute.. Brannen, Haynes or Muramatsu?

Post by belen.conte »

Hello! Finally i have the opportunity to buy a new professional flute. Im between these brands, and i wanted to know your opinion. My heart goes with the drawn tones holes Brannen. Iv never heard or read a bad thing about this beauties. But a much cheaper and affordable option would be a Q3/Q4 Haynes or Ds Muramatsu. Iv tried plenty of Muramatsu and they're really good instruments. But i find their mechanism TOO soft and fast, with no resistance. As to the haynes, i think they should be great, but i dont know much about them.

Also i would love to get a lafin headjoint instead of the brannen headhoint. Would it be worthy? Is there really a big difference?
I would appreciate any information or advice you can give me.

pied_piper

Re: Upgrading a new flute.. Brannen, Haynes or Muramatsu?

Post by pied_piper »

All the flutes you mentioned are fine flutes worthy of your consideration. I have a friend who swears by Brannen and others who like Haynes. For me, I chose a Muramatsu AD (the predecessor of the DS) more than 20 years ago and have continued to play it since then, although I did switch to a David Williams 14K headjoint about 10 years ago. With regards to your comment about the feel of the Muramatsu action, I love it. It has been extremely reliable with no issues in more than 20 years. If you prefer a firmer feel, most flute shops have a flute tech on staff and the springs can be adjusted to your preferred degree of resistance.

With all that said, there are so many good pro flute options that is impossible to truly recommend what is the best flute for you. Only you can make that decision for yourself. I love my Muramatsu but I would not presume to tell you it is the best for you. I always use this analogy: Flutes are like shoes - you have to buy what fits you. I would recommend getting all the flutes you listed for an at home trial to give you more time to figure out which one is right for you.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

rylan

Post by rylan »

I've been searching for a flute for the past month. I had the chance to try all those flutes same more. If you like only those three, I will say that you can't go wrong with any of those flutes. Brannen, Haynes, and Muramatsu are all pretty trendy brands and rightfully so. Have you considered Miyazawa, Powell, or Altus?

Personally, liked the Haynes and Miyazawas the most. Haynes for the sound and feel in my hands. I'm liked the Miyazawa for their low register and full Brögger mechanism at a lower price point.

Just make sure you try them all first. Reach out to Flute World or Flute Center of NY to do a home trial of these flutes.

Betthoi

Post by Betthoi »

pied_piper wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm
All the flutes you mentioned are fine flutes worthy of your consideration. I have a friend who swears by Brannen and others who like Haynes. For me, I chose a Muramatsu AD (the predecessor of the DS) more than 20 years ago and have continued to play it since then, although I did switch to a David Williams 14K headjoint about 10 years ago. With regards to your comment about the feel of the Muramatsu action, I love it. It has been extremely reliable with no issues in more than 20 years. If you prefer a firmer feel, most flute shops have a flute tech on staff and the springs can be adjusted to your preferred degree of resistance.

With all that said, there are so many good pro flute options that is impossible to truly recommend what is the best flute for you. Only you can make that decision for yourself. I love my Muramatsu but I would not presume to tell you it is the best for you. I always use this analogy: Flutes are like shoes - you have to buy what fits you. I would recommend getting all the flutes you listed for an at home trial to give you more time to figure out which one is right for you.
Not everyome have the possibility to try all these great flutes, but this is the obly way to understand what suits you more. This is a very interesting journey of choosing your perfect flute

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

Actually, anyone can try any flute they want. Most of the flute specialty shops will ship flutes to try at home.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--