Artley alto flute

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

flutesong

Artley alto flute

Post by flutesong »

Recently viewed two Artley alto flutes on good ole EBay, one was really lovely and roughly an early 80's model. Sadly, did not have available funds to bid on at the time it was offered. However, my question put to the group is-absolutely no one bid on this instrument and it was offered twice. Another Artley came up for bid and, again, no one bid though this one was quite a bit older like 50's manufactured date. I have seen these flutes go for pretty decent prices before. Any thoughts out there? Is there something greatly undesirable about Artley altos? I have an Artley b-foot with open holes, sterling head joint, and in-line G and it's wonderful...What would you recommend for a good choice in a used alto flute? I am not a professional, and wish to find one at a "reasonable" price to play for my own enjoyment. I love the lower registers! Tx. The new kid on the block. :0)

Kshel

Re: Artley alto flute

Post by Kshel »

Firstly, welcome :)

Secondly: what was the asking price for these flutes? Unless you have experience repairing or know the flute market reasonably well, I would say purchasing a flute on eBay is kind of sketch (others here will disagree, I'm sure). Artley is not a brand that has a glowing reputation, but I'm not sure if that applies to older flutes, newer flutes, or both (someone who has experience with these please chime in?).

Ultimately my advice is to purchase a used flute through a retail store or dealer. At least you can try before you buy and know what you're purchasing. You are in most cases given a 90 day agreement, so if anything is wrong with the flute you can send it back for repair or for a refund-- which is more than what most eBay sellers offer.

flutesong

Post by flutesong »

tx. much for welcome. great deal of quite interesting info here! :mrgreen:

The 1981 model was 1200.00 then 999.00 and the 1950's model 900.00 though I don't believe I wish one this vintage! Have heard Artley pads are a nusiance to deal with and have also heard older models are better. Don't have definition of "older" though and I have no personal experience to back this up. Repairman who handles our son's sax is a wonderful reference also. I have even located several consignment shops which I have left a message about my interest with. Sadly, greatly lacking in my area for locating used altos for sale. Our music store, such as it is, only deals in new instruments or rentals. Probably should speak with folks in our local symphony orchestra for ideas!

I played Artley in school many years ago and continue to enjoy my EBay purchase of an Artley bfoot. Probably got lucky with this purchase...as I think your suggestion of wariness in this venue is quite sensible! Many sellers have "no return" stated in their return policy!

Can you or folks out there elaborate on Artley's less than desirable attributes? This would be helpful to me in my search for a kindly used alto to enjoy.

tx. again for the welcome and all helpful info! :0)

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

Artley's reputation took a bashing after the company was bought by C.G. Conn in 1969. In the 70's, Conn moved the Artley plant from Elkhart, Indiana to Nogales Arizona to cut manufacturing costs. During that period, quality dropped and that's where the "bad rep" comes from. In 1980, Conn was sold and the Artley plant soon moved back to Elkhart, Indiana.

IMO, the older (pre-69 ) Artley flutes were actually pretty good. Like you, I learned to play flute on an old Artley and it served me well.

Now, as far as the Artley alto flutes are concerned, if the serial number indicates the newer one was made in 1981, it should have been made in Elkhart, but if it was near the borderline of 80/81, it might have been made in Nogales. The 1950's model would surely have been made in Elkhart. It's hard to judge these alto flutes though because their value is really determined by condition. If they were played hard (i.e. in a school setting) they may have been abused or not nor cared for. If owned by a pro, they could be in excellent condition. Unless these have been recently overhauled, I personally think those prices are a little high. If they need work, that would make them even less of a good buy. On the other hand, I would prefer these over a $500-600 generic Chinese alto flute.

If your budget allows, you may want to consider a new alto flute. A couple of really nice alto flutes that are not dramatically more expensive are the Pearl PFA-201 ($1294) or Di Zhao PFA ($1489) based upon FluteWorld's web site prices. You can try before you buy and they come with a full warranty, too.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

andy957

Post by andy957 »

pied_piper wrote:Artley's reputation took a bashing after the company was bought by C.G. Conn in 1969. In the 70's, Conn moved the Artley plant from Elkhart, Indiana to Nogales Arizona to cut manufacturing costs. During that period, quality dropped and that's where the "bad rep" comes from. In 1980, Conn was sold and the Artley plant soon moved back to Elkhart, Indiana.
I may be totally off my rocker (or don't have enough coffee in me yet this morning LOL) but aren't the Roy Seaman piccolos made in Nogales?

For some reason I seem to remember hearing that, although I'm old and most probably am completely wrong. Someone please correct me if that's the case.

saxbilly

Post by saxbilly »

Recently I purchased an Artley alto flute on ebay with both a straight and curved headjoint. This is most likely a newer model is my guess, probably from Elkhart. When did Artley stop making these instruments? Have not received the flute yet. Paid about $550 for it. Is this a deal or did I buy junk?

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

saxbilly wrote:Recently I purchased an Artley alto flute on ebay with both a straight and curved headjoint. This is most likely a newer model is my guess, probably from Elkhart. When did Artley stop making these instruments? Have not received the flute yet. Paid about $550 for it. Is this a deal or did I buy junk?
About any playable Alto flute is at least worth what you paid for that one. Worse case, you will need to take it to a technician to get worked on. If you figure a decent new one will cost you $1300+, even if you have to do $300 of work on it, you are still in pretty good shape!

At least that is how I would look at it.

Phineas