Altus 807 vs Azumi Az3?

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Npt

Altus 807 vs Azumi Az3?

Post by Npt »

Hello,
This is my first time posting - I just discovered this site! :lol:
I am in the process of trying out some new flutes (after playing 25 years on my Yamaha 300 series) and have narrowed it down to an Altus 807 which is the all silver plated model with no options but a b foot and offset G. I really love how light it is, how easy it plays and how in tune it stays. Here's my question, I have also ordered to try out the Azumi Az3 (which I believe replaced the original Azumi 3000). I have heard wonders about this Azumi made by Altus (which is in the same price range as the Altus 807) one of the reasons being its Altus "Z cut" lip plate on the head joint. Does anyone know anything about this special kind of head joint? Now I know I could order this Z cut hj for the Altus 907 (a step up from the 807, with a solid Brittania silver hj) but I preferred for my ability level (high intermediate?) the Altus 807 to the 907 which I found easier to play as well as 1000 dollars cheaper. The Altus 807, being their lowest model, does not come with a choice of head joints; I believe it's the classic "S cut" hj. There's an interesting YouTube video where two fantastic flute playing women demonstrate the Altus 807 and 907 and talk a little about the different head joints available on the 907 (and up) models but they don't go into detail. I would love to watch a video where someone demonstrates the different types of head joint "cuts". Or, do you think that in spite of the "special" Z cut on the Azumi I should just go with the low end Altus, the 807, since it's overall a better made flute (even though the Azumi is, I believe, all silver. Altus says all their flutes are "handmade"; not sure what that means, though.... Anyway, sorry for the long post! :roll: Thanks!

JButky

Re: Altus 807 vs Azumi Az3?

Post by JButky »

The 807 comes with the Classic "S" cut. The Z cut is basically the S but made more square in its geometry. While you can't get a Z cut on a 807 you can always get one later and "upgrade" your 807 with your choice of headjoint. The other big difference is the keywork Azumi vs Altus. The better Altus keywork or the choice of the Z head? Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

Or you could just get a 907 and get both options. (oh yah but it costs more.) Back to decisions...

You can't go by other people's playing of headjoints. I doesn't necesarrily translate to you. Play both and see which is best for you. One person's preferrential headjoint cut is another one's trash.
Joe B

Npt

Post by Npt »

Yes, thanks, it's a hard but fun! decision to make. I'll wait and see how I like the Azumi and decide between the two after playing on both for several days. I've certainly enjoyed trying out so many flutes (in the 2-4 thousand dollar range): Amadeus 700 and 900, Yamaha 574, the Miyazawa Lyric LA-2, the Trevor James Virtuoso (love the name!), the Myazawa 102 and the Muramatsu EX (which was a little out of my price range..).
Nina

flutego12

Post by flutego12 »

Love this forum.

Please let us know your findings Nina albeit a personal one ...
flutist with a screwdriver

Praymer1949

Post by Praymer1949 »

Hello. I shoukd probably make my own post but I'm not sure how yet. Still new to this site.
I'm an upper intermediate adult player and just bought an azumi az3 with the Z cut. It seems I'm having a little trouble. It seems like i cannot manipulate the airstream as well for dynamics. It plays beautifully in the upper register..even at pp. I have a pretty well developed playing ability....but this Z cut seems like its limiting me. Is there any way to adjust to this head joint? Any advice is much appreciated.

stutrumpet73

Post by stutrumpet73 »

Hi,

I've been a trumpet player all my life until last November when I had the urge to try the flute. Since then I really love it and working hard on improving. I am around Grade 5 with some moments when I feel 'sub-intermediate' :-)

I have a 2nd hand Yamaha 211 and a couple of advanced players tried it and they sound great but it feels clunky with some sharp ends of the pins sticking out. So, nine months into playing I went to a dealer and tried a few models. I'd read a lot about the Altus Z cut so they let me try an Azumi with that and an Altus 807 with the S cut. Of the two, I found the S to have the nicer sound and an easier, more reliable high end. The pros on Youtube suggest that the S restricts the ability to put more air through. I also tried a Yamaha 412 (not a lot different to my 211), a Pearl (this felt as though the tube had something stuffed down it - must be me!) and a Trevor James Virtuoso which I instantly took a dislike to - despite being a silver body - for example my left hand thumb kept hitting the edge of the adjacent key and the sound of my 211 (to me) was more open and easier to play.

So, for me the favourite was the Altus with the S HJ. It seems clear that the bottom of the 'pro' range (like with trumpets) is the way to go despite the temptation of having a less hand-finished flute with a solid silver HJ/body for the same price - that choice would be for a much more advanced player to determine the benefit.

How do others feel? Any suggestions as to alternatives to the Altus around that price range? - Thomann have it at £1888 (most others in UK are from £2099/£2449) and I'm waiting on a price from them for the B joint version.