Info re a Grabet silver flute

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

ewb

Info re a Grabet silver flute

Post by ewb »

Hi all, love the forum, just registered.

We're still digging for info but thought I'd ask here whether anyone is familiar with the flute maker Grabet? There's very little (virtually nothing) about them on-line. They apparently also made some other instruments, at least clarinets. I appears to date from the 40s or 50s, is silver, came in a wonderful old Cheney case with hand-tacked red felt lining. It has the serial number 2462 and is stamped with a 3 on all three pieces.

Hoping to get down to the university to look through the Langwill Index this weekend. But if anyone's familiar with Grabet, I'd love to learn more.

Thanks.

awolfe0513

Re: Info re a Grabet silver flute

Post by awolfe0513 »

Hi! Did you find out any information about your flute. I have inherited my aunt's flute Grabet 4848, I think it may be from the same time frame as yours. Unfortunately there is no one surviving that could tell me about its origin. If you could relay any info you have found, that would be wonderful. You are right by-the-way, there is virtually no information on the internet about this flute. You had mentioned that the manufacture also made clarinets and that led me to a post on a clarinet message board about a Grabet clarinet. That user was also looking for information. http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/BBoar ... 1&t=165451 The exciting reply to their inquiry seems to be a joke however.

carynbo

Post by carynbo »

I too have a Grabet flute in a black, burgundy velvet-lined case. It is stamped "4036." Unfortunately its beloved previous owner is no longer here to share the back story. Would love to know anything about these instruments!

kimberllini

Post by kimberllini »

I have been searching off and on for years for other people who have heard of these flutes. I started playing on my mom's Grabet in the late 80s and she started playing in the early 60s. I recall her telling me it was used and pretty old when my grandparents bought it for her. I still have it and have always been curious about its origin.