Artley flute

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

kellyreid

Re: Artley flute

Post by kellyreid »

I have a 1973 Wilkins Model. No idea what kind of foot it has. Has "Artley" stamped on the headpiece and the foot, Artley The Wilkins Model on the body. Keys on the body are mostly open holed. Keys on the foot are all closed.

It plays decently, but I have an antique wooden flute that I vastly prefer and I am aiming to sell this. Any advice as to what I have, where I should sell it, and for how much?

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

There is not a big market or high demand for Artley flutes. A few collectors may find a Wilkins model of interest.

A few Artley Wilkins flutes have sold on eBay over the past few months:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... ld=1&rt=nc
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

kellyreid

Post by kellyreid »

Would I be wrong to consider scrapping it for the precious metals?

kellyreid

Post by kellyreid »

And how can I determine what this is made of? I hope it's solid silver obviously.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

The Artley Wilkins flute is a silver flute (not plated like a student model). However, "solid silver" flutes are not 100% silver. At best, if it's sterling silver, that is 92.5% silver. Usually (but not always), sterling silver flutes are stamped "Sterling Silver". I'm not sure about the silver % in the Wilkins, but it may be coin silver which at best may be 90% silver.

So lets calculate the estimated salvage value of the flute. On average, a flute weighs about 1 pound or 16 ounces. Of that 16 ounces, there are steel rods (key shafts which may weigh about 2-3 ounces, the head cork probably weighs an ounce or so, and the pads add another ounce. So the remaining parts of the flute which are silver probably weigh a total of 16 - 3 -1 - 1= 11 or maybe 12 ounces. Let's assume that the Wilkins is coin silver (since it is not marked as sterling). 12 x 0.9 = 10.8 ounces of pure silver. Let's round that up to 11 ounces. Today, the selling price of silver is about $17 per ounce. A salvage firm will not pay that much because they have to separate out the non-silver parts and they have to make a profit, so I would guess they would probably pay only about half the selling price of silver, so lets say that comes to $8.50 per ounce. 11 ounces X $8.50 = $93.50.

So, you could get maybe a $100 or so salvage value from the silver, but if you don't want to try to sell it as a flute, rather than scrapping it for salvage value, why not consider donating it to a charitable organization who could themselves sell it in thrift store or perhaps give to a needy family with a child who wants to play flute? Then, you could take a tax deduction for a donation to a non-profit organization. That would give you a donation value of perhaps $300-$500 based upon eBay market prices. You get something, the non-profit gets something, and perhaps a needy students gets something (a flute). That seems to be a win-win for everyone.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

magnoliarose

Post by magnoliarose »

I have a lovely Artley Wilkins made in the 60s. It has a huge embouchere hole, so it takes more air, but it is warm and mellow in tone. I've had mine overhauled three times since I bought it nearly 39 years ago. I adore it.

nylorac

Post by nylorac »

I also really like my Artley Wilkins flutes. I have both the c foot and b foot models. I added different head joints both of these flutes. I am able to get a really nice sound out of both of these flutes. I bought the B foot model for $400 from the daughter of a retired symphony player. It needed an overhaul. With the overhaul, a new case cover, and a different head joint I have put about $1200 into this flute. It is totally worth it. The C foot model I bought already refurbished for $500; I bought a used head joint for a great price to this flute and bought a new case. I have about $900 into this flute, for a total of about $2,100 for both flutes. I think these flutes are a really good bargain for the quality of the flute. These flutes are not that well known, and are not in high demand. So if you spend some time looking for an Artley Wilkins flute, you will eventually find one. I get a nice deep tone on my flutes.

kellyreid

Post by kellyreid »

If anyone happens to want mine, it's in storage but can be retrieved if someone wants to buy it. See above for details.

Muckmoose

Post by Muckmoose »

I have owned 2 Artley Artists which is an all silver tube flute. The first an early 60s model made in Elkhart and a later one made in Nogales. There is 20 odd years between me owning these instrument so I am reluctant to compare them but i suspect the earlier flute was marginally better. I've owned a lot of different flutes over the years and love Artley Artists. I guess this is the model just below the Wilkinson? Mine are plateau. Other than intonation I don't believe modern high tech flutes have much over some of these old instrument. However, I still would not compare them directly to a commercial Haynes of the same generation. Mine have both played well and sounded great. These Artleys are very different instrument to say an Armstrong 90, which is a student flute made out of silver.

Muckmoose

Post by Muckmoose »

The current Artley Artist, Nogales Ariz. I have is serial numbered 2398xx. I have read conflicting dates about when they moved and also noted inconsistencies in published serial number dates. I believe mine to be early 70s.

peet

Post by peet »

Hello, I am new on this board. I am a jazz / blues flute player. And I like dark sounds.
I want to tell you something about a wilkins flute. I read on several boards that these flutes are not so good. Maybe because the value is not like a powell, muramatsu, sankyo etc. They say that the headjoints are bad etc etc. I can tell everyone that my experience with the wiklins model is very very good. The shape of the headjoint is good. The flute has beautiful dark tones in the lower register and the higher register is also colorfull, not sharp.

My flute is all silver and I think also silver closed holes. The body and the applicature feels very solid. I normally play on a sankyo silver sonic. A very nice flute. I also played muramatsu and other brands. They were also very good. But this wilkins flute has a lot of potential in tone. And it seems that for big hands the flute is more suitable.

I know that the market price for this flute is low, I think to low. But for the one who likes a good made professional flute it is a opportunity to buy a relative cheap second hand flute and make a sound like a powell flute. And I think when people are talking about instruments they will take over meanings of other posts (including mine perhaps). So when you ever have a opportunity to play on a overhauled wilkins flute , do it. It is amazing. And the only thing what means is if the flute suits you. Buy a flute or other instrument where you have some feels with it. My old teacher told me that you must fall in love with your instrument. Not because of the sayings majority .

One thing, the wilkins model is not the same as a Artley 7-0 I also play a artly 7-0 and this flute feels different in fingering. Especially the gis level. But also a nice tone.

Rockie26

Artley nogales ariz flute

Post by Rockie26 »

Artley nogales ariz flute serial number 235054
Can someone tell me when this one was made ?
Please & thank you

frugal flutist

Post by frugal flutist »