b-foot / open holes

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

HarmonicConnection

b-foot / open holes

Post by HarmonicConnection »

I've been doing research and I'm finding a wide variety of answers. I just wanted more opinions on the matter.

B-foot
Now, aside from the fact that this has only about 80 pieces of music written to use low b, doesn't it help with the higher registers (gizmo)?
Also, won't the length of the B-foot help create a darker sound? I've also heard it makes it easier on some models to play lower.

Open holes
I realize that this is mainly an American thing and we don't use it for anything except tonal nuances. But is it true that open hole flutes project sound more? Are they louder?

From what I've found out, if the open holes are unnecessary, I will not need them (unless they give the capability of performing louder; I like to have a wide dynamic range). But the B-foot sounds like it might be a keeper; I really like modern music and would love to see what this could do for me.

I just wanted people's opinions on these two flute options and for anyone to correct me if I have been misinformed. Thanks.

PS: Do they make closed hole flutes with B-foots?

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Yes they make closed hole flutes with B foots, but typically you have to order them.

B foot... if it is available, and doesn't cost any more.... I would go on and get it. Doesn't hurt to have the extra key. I personally have found that the gizmo can be useful in the extremes of the upper register.

Open holes.... I'm sort of on the fence about this one. Really, there is very little difference between them [closed and open holes].

If you like modern music, I would say go with the open holes. A lot of modern music utilizes the special effects that open holes can do. Besides, in my opinion [which could be worth nothing for all I know], I would just go on an get open holes regardless, and get plugs if you didn't want to use them.

But, if you ever DID need the holes, you would have them. If you didn't get the holes, and you needed them, you are in quite a bind.

My sort of "motto" of buying flutes is typically: if you like how it plays, and you can get extra options for little or no money, get the options. It never hurts to have options. Now... if the options do cost extra money, then that is your own decision.