Pinky Key

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

HarmonicConnection

Pinky Key

Post by HarmonicConnection »

So I know that all notes, with the exception of D, are tecnically supposed to have the pinky key (the larger one, i believe it's called Eb key; sorry, I've just started learning) down. How necessary is this? It seems to not effect tuning at all. I know of an extremely good flautist who doesn't bother with it all the time. Just wanting opinions. Thanks.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

You need to use the pinky key.

Even though you can't hear a difference right now, in the future, you will be able to hear a difference. While it may not affect tuning a huge amount, once you have a nice solid tone established, the note[s] will have a different tone quality.

Use the pinky. It is a pain now, but once you improve, it will make life easier.

I promise. :wink:

rocky

Post by rocky »

Yup, use the pinky key. It DOES matter. Right now, it doesn't seem to, but it does.

Also, you'll look stupid to better flute players if you keep that pinky up when it should be down. You want to both SOUND good and LOOK smart, right?

Oh, also on that high-E (on three ledger lines) you might find that actually LIFTING that pinky gets a better, less screechy sound. So, there's an exception to that rule. I like to play high-E with no pinky. It just sounds better, but then again my flute is older than you are (I'm guessing) and it just is a cheap-o instrument (but, hey, it's paid for).

So, put that pinky down. Having it up is a dead-giveaway that you don't know what you're doing!

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I do agree that you need to learn proper fingerings and that using the pinky key is a big part of this, but I think the looking stupid thing is completely irrelevant. I work with a lot of young players and yes, I want them to look good as they play, however, you will learn over time that everyone plays differently. Personally, I have to agree to an extent with the philosophy of "just play the darn thing" and what matters most is the sound that comes out. If you watch amazing pro flute players closely enough, you will clearly see that they all innovate in one way or another at times. And yes, sometimes they will play a note or two with the pinky up. I think telling (or even thinking) anyone who plays for a living that they look stupid or like they do not know what they are doing would be very arrogant. I do not think that in my 20+ years of playing I have reached the point where I can make such judgments of other players based on what they look like. Just my opinions on the matter.

Dusk

Post by Dusk »

Uh oh... I guess I was wrong in thinking that those wouldn't matter. I did notice a slight difference in how wispy my tone was, but I thought it was just the different hand support changing my embouchure relative to the lip plate. I guess I'm lucky to have clicked on this thread.
Honor is for the living; death has none.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

fluttiegurl wrote:I do agree that you need to learn proper fingerings and that using the pinky key is a big part of this, but I think the looking stupid thing is completely irrelevant. .... If you watch amazing pro flute players closely enough, you will clearly see that they all innovate in one way or another at times. And yes, sometimes they will play a note or two with the pinky up.
fluttiegurl, I think your message is right-on. Everyone needs to learn the "normal" fingerings, but sometimes, there are valid reasons to break the pinky finger rule. The same applies to the second octave D where the LH 1st finger is normally raised. The D sounds better with the first finger raised, but sometimes, in very fast passages, it's smoother to play it with the 1st finger down. It all depends upon speed, context, and making an informed decision to alter the normal fingering.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Definately. I myself have "invented" a few fingerings of my own that I use. For my personal playing style, they provide better tuning, color, and overall intonation. But, I also use different ones. It is all a matter of the context in which they are used.

But, for this individual's purpose, I think that learning the standard fingerings is the most important aspect at the moment.

Dusk

Post by Dusk »

I just thought of something... Since the pinky key is used in the vast majority of proper fingerings, why isn't it on some sort of reverse level so it would be depressed by default. Then you would press the key to raise the pad. *Scurries off to the nearest patent office.
Then again, it might be needlessly complicated.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Explain further. I am confused.

The pad is already depressed because of the spring, and you depress the key to lift the pad.

But if you mean to have the pad up, and then just press the key down to close it...

In that case....

I think it probably has to do with a couple of things:

A: the fact that many players use the pinky key as a balance point.

B: Having to depress another key when playing low notes is problematic. It is already difficult enough to move with agility while playing low notes because our pinkies aren't naturally inclined to do so. Playing quick transitions from Low B to C or C# [or any configuration in the bottom 3 notes of our range] is awkward as it is. Having to depress another key would just make matters more difficult.

But, don't look at me for the answer here. I didn't design the modern flute, nor do I make them. I merely play the flute, so my guess at the answer could very well be worthless. :wink:

Dusk

Post by Dusk »

Yeah, I was thinking the other way around. in that case, it would be raised normally and depress when pressed.

I guess you're right about the balance point thing.

sunshineflute

Post by sunshineflute »

It is definitely important to learn the correct fingerings first. You can always adjust as needed for a particular song for example. One I am working on now it is easier to lift the pinky during a particular low section. As long as the sound is not obviously different - thats the key.