Deciding which flute to sell and which to keep...

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

ana78ng

Deciding which flute to sell and which to keep...

Post by ana78ng »

I have three intermediate flutes and would like to sell two of them.

Pearl 665 (open holed, pointed arms)

Trevor James Cantible II (open holed)

Azumi 2000 (open holed)

I am keeping a Trevor James Virtuoso (closed hole) and a Miyazawa Gibu ST (also closed hole). I am torn on which two remaining flutes to sell...

The pearl has a great sound and a "different" feel related to the pointed arms. The TJ has the best tone out of the three. The Azumi plays very easily, but out of the three has the least desirable tone (although very nice).

I've been debating this for several weeks and can't decide. Looking for some feedback...

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

I dont like giving advice on buying flutes, but I can sure give you my opinion on selling them.

1. Playability
2. Sound

If I had to make a choice which horns I would get rid of, that is how I would choose. Playability effects your over all performance. IMHO, the sound is less important. You can always take the money from selling the other 2 flutes and buy the headjoint you want. If you like playing on the Azumi, then that is the one I would keep, and just get a better headjoint.

Phineas

kiwiflute

Post by kiwiflute »

Why not sell all three?

You already have two closed hole flutes which should be a step up in quality compared to the intermediate flutes, and you are going to be keeping those.

Do you really need to have an open hole flute? In other words do you need to be able to play glissandi, microtones, multiphonics etc. If not, then I would sell all three intermediate flutes, stick with just the two closed hole flutes, and use the money to do other things such as searching for a really good headjoint as Phineas suggests.

If you really must have an open-hole flute in your collection, IMHO I would hang on to the Pearl and sell the other two. You mention that the Pearl has a great sound, and I suspect that the TJ Cantabile will sound similar to the Virtuoso. If you think that the Azumi has the least desirable sound I would put at the top of the list to be sold.

Just my 0.02!

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Of those models mentioned, I believe that the Azumi is the only one with a handcut headjoint. The reason it might seem to have the worst sound is because you haven't adjusted to that headjoint yet. Most machine made headjoints sound good from the beginning. A lot of handcut headjoints require a learning period before they will sound good. I personally would keep the Azumi.

The Trevor James will be similiar to the other one you have. The difference you are feeling with the Pearl flute's mechanism isn't the pointed key arms. Those actually make very little [if any] difference at all. What you are probably feeling is their unique pinless mechanism. From my experiance, their pinless mechanism is really realllllly smooth and fluid feeling. That's the actual difference: The mechanism, not the arms.

ana78ng

Post by ana78ng »

Thanks for the feedback. I've been a long time lurker on these boards.

I'm still somewhat undecided on my direction at this point. Like you pointed out, I really don't need any of the flutes, I suppose. The miyazawa and the TJ virtuoso are my mainstays. I did place a Mike Allen head joint on the Virtuoso and it certainly is my favorite of my silver flutes.

I guess I'm having seller anxiety. I suppose I would hate to sell one of the three I mentioned and have regrets later on. But how many flutes do I really need? I'm not a professional player...I play for my personal enjoyment, occasionally play in concert bands, and take private lessons.

I know I don't NEED a open holed flute for any particular reason - which is the reason I chose the closed holed version of the Virtuoso and Miya. I think I've gotten attached to my flutes and hate to see any of them go despite the logic behind it.

*sighs*

Helga

Post by Helga »

Yes, be brave, sell all but one and start looking for a next level flute! :D
There is a crack in everything,
that's how the light gets in.