How do you find out the value of a used flute?

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

sherilbusa

How do you find out the value of a used flute?

Post by sherilbusa »

Hi everyone!

I have decided that its time to let go of my flute :( and hopefully sell it to someone who will use it :) . Problem is I have no idea how much it is worth, so I have no idea how much to list it for? Is there a website to find values ( like with used cars)?

I have a Sterling Silver Open-hole W.T. Artmstrong that I bought brand new in 1987. The numbers on it read 80 37 43132. It has a gold lip mouth piece and the extended foot. It is in great condition, still sounds beautiful and also has a hard case in great condition.

I would appreciate any help with this, thanks!

pied_piper

Re: How do you find out the value of a used flute?

Post by pied_piper »

The most obvious way is to take it into a music store. However, a store will give you a low-ball price.

Another good way is to look at eBay to see what similar flutes are selling for. The Armstrong Model 80 is a decent flute but unfortunately, they are not in high demand. A search of eBay shows a number of them listed for around $500. However, a listing of those that actually sold (the actual selling price not the asking price) show prices mostly in the $200-$300 range with one a little over $500. Take a look here and you will see the Armstrong 80 flutes that have sold over the last 3-4 months:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Flute-/10183/i. ... ld=1&rt=nc

Also, for everyone of those that sold, there are probably at least 4-5 more that did not sell.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

Silversorcerer

Post by Silversorcerer »

The listings on ebay tend toward two extremes. It is dominated by people selling something they are not familiar with. The prices on flutes often reflect an "as is" condition because the seller is unable to play test the instrument. At the other end of the spectrum are those who can probably demonstrate the playability;- you have an advantage and should use it. If you link audio/video that demonstrates that the flute is indeed working well, then you will get higher bids. It also helps to have very clear photographs. It is best to do the photos outdoors unless you are a studio photographer. And even if you are not in practice, just demonstrating that the flute will play from top to bottom will improve the confidence of bidders. If you don't feel confident, maybe get a friend who still plays to run up the chromatic on it.

I have an Armstrong 80, probably a mid-70's. It has the odd situation of having a "74" prefix. Supposedly you add 50 to that, etc., but in my case I think it just means 1974. I don't have the gold-plated head, but I do have the B-foot. The 80 is a really great intermediate flute. Take good photos, do a video demonstration, list it for 10 days, end the auction on a Sunday afternoon, and make sure you mention that it is solid silver head and body in the listing heading. If you aren't in a hurry, wait until the next gift season. A lot of students get nice gift upgrade instruments.

sherilbusa

Post by sherilbusa »

Thank you for all the help.