Learning to play open hole flute

Advanced Technique, Performance Questions, Auditions, Recording, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

ange_gurl

Learning to play open hole flute

Post by ange_gurl »

I recently bought a Yamaha 574 series. Can you guys tell what the fastest way to learn to play with open holes? Is just leaving the plugs out best or learning to play one hole at a time? What do you guys thingk about this model of flute?

juneroses

Post by juneroses »

I did it with all the plugs out and I didn't put them back in until i got it down. That took me about 2 weeks. Although, it WILL be a very fustrating to play this way as the notes will come out airy or not at all, just keep working and maybe put the plugs back in once or twice if you really can't stand it. I know people who started on open holed flutes and kept the plugs in who have gone 2-3 years and still have some plugs in. So yeah, I reccomend taking them out.
[b]RANDOLPH QUOTES – ‘05[/b]
-"I wonder what happens when the drumline comes?"-Russo
-“Mrs. Russo likes trees.”-Popat
-“I’m clenching my butt cheeks!”–Matt
-“I broke my face.”-AnneMarie

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

I often have students remove the left- and right-hand middle finger plugs right away, and then the right-hand first finger, and then the ring finger plugs for each hand (G and D), which are tougher to master. This happens over a period of a few weeks. :D

Hakaru

Post by Hakaru »

you should take out the right hand ones first... since they are fairly easy to get used to.. then one by one take out the plugs on the left side starting with the one closest to the head piece

pandagirl11

Post by pandagirl11 »

The easiest thing to do is to have someone watch you while you play. Have them watch for which fingers are coming down, consistently, and directly over your plugs. Then, you can remove the plugs for those fingers.

The thing is, don't be AFRAID to take them out. Sure, you'll sound horrible for a few days (week?) but after your fingers get used to it, you'll sound wonderful!

I just got a Yamaha YFL-481H flute two days ago and I'm learning to play without the plugs too. My teacher had a look for me and decided I could take them all out, except for the G key, because my previous flute (Gemeinhardt 72SP) had an offset G while this model has an inline G and my fingers must get used to that first.

Best of luck to you!

amhso

Post by amhso »

just pull out all the plugs and play what you normally do....except everytime you hear a cracked note...just adjust your fingers to stay on the keys/holes.

Claiken

Post by Claiken »

i have a general curiousity question... is there any flutises that buy an open hole flute for looks, but leave the plugs in all the time? just curious...
[img]http://img63.exs.cx/img63/7006/TrueTalent.jpg[/img]

ElegantFlute

Post by ElegantFlute »

I got my open hole because my first band director had one, and I thought it was so cool. I just took all the plugs out right away and started playing. I guess that wasn't the best reason to buy open hole. LOL

I wonder whatever happened to my plugs....

FruityFlutie

Post by FruityFlutie »

The way I learned how to play mine was with all of the plugs in first. Then, I removed one at a time, getting used to one being gone before taking the next one off. I guess that was the easiest to learn it and get used to it. It took about 2 months for me, but it'll be different for each person.

amhso

Post by amhso »

yeah. what happened to me was, i was doing it one whole at a time...and my friend (who is very good at flute and had played like 4 years before me) just asked, can i see you flute. so i said sure....then she pulls all the plugs out, goes outside, and trashes them. I was all O.O!!!! but it worked out good.

Bryony-Jane

Post by Bryony-Jane »

I got an open holed flute because I loved the tone and when I was trying it out in the shop I basically took all the plugs out and played it. It corrected my sloppy fingering. I guess its just a case of doing what you feel comfortable with.