Trevor James Flute

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

rjg60

Trevor James Flute

Post by rjg60 »

I have a Trevor James Virtuoso model on trial. The company (fluteworld) has told me that the model they sent has a profiled silver head. To me it looks and feels like any other headjoint. I then spoke with another company who said that a profiled silver head from Trvoe James looks entirely different that the regular silver head. Unfortunately I cannot find a picture of a profiled silver head to see who is correct. Can anyone shed some light?

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

I'm not sure what you mean by a profiled head...Could you mean one with a wing lip? The only references to a profiled head I've seen are from piccolo makers, by which they mean a thinned wooden head with the lipplate shape rather than one without the lip. Metal heads always have lip plates, so I wouldn't expect a profiled head (at least in that sense) to exist. In any case, I wouldn't be too worried about whether it's profiled or not....As long as you like how it plays and sounds, it doesn't really matter.

atoriphile

Post by atoriphile »

According to the Trevor James website ( http://www.trevorjames.com/ ):

The ‘Shaped’ lip plate The lip plate is slightly ‘shaped’ enabling your lip and chin to come closer to the embouchure hole. The shoulders of the lip plate are also raised from the side to the centre allowing the chimney to be greater in height, especially at the sides of the chimney. These features generally assist a greater volume and ease of immediate tone production. Especially obvious is the strength of the low and mid range notes, whilst the high notes tend to be uncompromising and speak freely. The sides of the embouchure are rounded at the top and have slightly more undercutting at the sides than the traditional lip plate. This lip plate certainly encourages ease of sound production.

There are also pictures on the website. Click enter, then TJ Flutes (at the top), then Headjoints & Lip Plates (on the left), and then scroll down to the bottom.