Alto Flute(s)

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Fotofavoloso

Alto Flute(s)

Post by Fotofavoloso »

Hey,

I'm considering the purchase of an Alto flute. Is it possible to get a decent one under a thousand dollars? I am not familiar with any of the Brands that seem to fall into this category.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Ciao,
Mark

Phineas

Re: Alto Flute(s)

Post by Phineas »

Fotofavoloso wrote:Is it possible to get a decent one under a thousand dollars? I am not familiar with any of the Brands that seem to fall into this category.
About the lowest price I have seen new is the Jupiters, Gemeinhardts, or Armstrongs for a round $1500.00. Allora makes one that costs around $600.00 that is playable but mostly junk.

Your only other options are Chinese or used.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ju ... e&_sacat=0

Frankly, the Jupiter out of the low price units will give you the best bang for the money NEW. For a few more dollars, you could by the Pearl 201 which is even better. Every so often I run a cross a deal on a good used one.

Fotofavoloso

Post by Fotofavoloso »

In my search for an Alto flute I am coming across Trever James flutes. How does their alto flute compare to the Pearl 201?

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

I have a friend who plays a Trevor James alto flute and she is VERY happy with it. I have tried it briefly and it plays very well. It responds easily with nice deep alto flute sound. I tried a Pearl alto at an NFA convention and it plays well too. I'd say they roughly equal and either one would serve you well.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

Fotofavoloso

Post by Fotofavoloso »

I have developed a really good relationship with my local brick and mortar and they secured a Pearl 201 for me to try. It came with both a straight and curved head joint. They (Music and Arts)are and have been very accommodating.......they know they will eventually get the sale.

Here is my evaluation of the Pearl 201:

It was much lighter than I expected. I did not like the curved headjoint at all.

It played very almost effortlessly in the lower 2 registers.....took some effort in the 3rd register....which I believe may be just the nature of the beast. As this is the first one (alto flute) I ever played I don't know if this is typical of alto flutes in general.

The overall feel of the key mechanisms were smooth and responsive.....I felt it was a good value for approx. $1500.00

They are going to get in some Jupiter's. When they do, I will play them and make my decision.

Does anyone here have an opinion on the Jupiter alto flutes....and how they might compare to the Pearl?

Hope the new year is treating you all well.

Ciao,
Mark

Gandalfe

Post by Gandalfe »

Most players of alto flute that I know preferred saving longer to get the instrument they really like. We are playing Scheherazade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL52dcNVdXw for our March concert and the alto flute solo is so lovely.
Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra ~ Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns
I played the wrong, wrong notes. ~ Thelonious Monk