Jupiter vs. Gemeinhardt

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

mattyacht

Jupiter vs. Gemeinhardt

Post by mattyacht »

I'm going to by a solid silver flute. I am considering either a Gemeinhardt 3SB or a Jupiter 711RBS. Can I get an opinion poll please?

Thanks,
Mattyacht

flutepicc06

Re: Jupiter vs. Gemeinhardt

Post by flutepicc06 »

mattyacht wrote:I'm going to by a solid silver flute. I am considering either a Gemeinhardt 3SB or a Jupiter 711RBS. Can I get an opinion poll please?

Thanks,
Mattyacht
Why solid silver? And how did you pick out these two models? Have you playtested them against other makes and models in the same range, or just picked them based on what the manufacturers (or others) had to say about them? If you haven't played them, that's the first step. You may notice that you favor one over the other, in which case an opinion poll is unecessary, as what we think about your flute doesn't matter.

cflutist

Re: Jupiter vs. Gemeinhardt

Post by cflutist »

mattyacht wrote:I'm going to by a solid silver flute. I am considering either a Gemeinhardt 3SB or a Jupiter 711RBS. Can I get an opinion poll please?

Thanks,
Mattyacht
The 3SB has solid silver head/body/foot but silver plated keys

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

As does the Jupiter and most other intermediate - advanced flutes. (silver plated keys, that is)

As for which is better, as stated, play test as many as you can. I have had experiences with both through students. To be honest, I have had both good and bad experiences with both, but that does not mean that you should not consider these flutes. What is important is how the flute sounds and feels to you. Also, I agree that is you have not play tested others, you may want to look at more than just two flutes until you have played enough to actually know what you are looking for in a flute.

Good luck!

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

I also recommend doing a search for the thread FAQ [1.0.... or 1.1..] and read through that. That should teach you quite a few things if you are only basing your current decision based off of specs that you read on the internet.

mattyacht

Gemmie versus jupiter

Post by mattyacht »

I stand corrected when I said solid silver. I was aware that these two models have siverplated keys. I have had the opportunity to play a Gemeinhardt 3SHB. I have not had the opportunity to play a Gemmie 3SB
or the Jupiter 711 because of no availability. Brook Mays a major band instrument retailer in this area has gone belly up. There are nothing but small band shops that Stock Emerson, Armstrong but not the higher priced models. I do want a silver head body and foot because of the potential for optimum tonal qualities. I DID SAY POTENTIAL! I do have a ways to go. I never got an opinion from you guys yet!!!!!

Mattyacht

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

I haven't given you my opinion yet because I don't want to influence your decision before you've even had the chance to try all the options. If, after playtesting the other flutes you're interested in (which hopefully is more than just a Gemmie and a Jupiter, as those are not the only flutes with your list of specs at that price level), I'll be glad to share my opinion with you, but it's all to easy to influence the ears. If you cannot get the flutes you want to try locally, fluteworld, as well as other dealers, will ship flutes to you on a trial basis. As for the bit about silver, the material makes a very subtle difference to the sound, if any at all (and there are plenty of people who will argue that it makes no difference at all). As far as sound is concerned, that is determined almost exclusively by the headjoint, not the body, so even if you get to the point that you think you can hear the difference between plated and solid silver, gold, platinum, and wood, it won't matter what the body is made of. If silver produces the sound you want, a silver head will be satisfactory. I would encourage you to keep your options open until you've at least played enough flutes to get a better idea of what you're looking for.

mattyacht

Thanks flutepicco6

Post by mattyacht »

Thanks for your honesty. I tend to be a hasty person at times. I don'tplay professionally with a group. Maybe just a silverhead is all I need. The Gemmie 3SHB that I tested has been refurbished and looks and sounds great compared to the lower end student lines that I've played. It's $550.00 and the other two I mentioned are going to be at least $900.00
new which is still way under retail. I will slow down, learn some patience,
and play as many as I can. How does it work with fluteworld? Do you give them a deposit to have them let you test their flutes?

Mattyacht

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Flute World will sned you a few flutes (I forget how many) and all you do is give them a credit card number as a deposit. They will deduct the shipping cost and the cost of the flute that you choose (if you choose one of them). They will also let you pay by check if you do not want it put on your credit card. It costs nothing but shipping to try flutes out.

I suggest taking a look at some of the silver head flutes as well. You may want to compare maybe tehh 3SHB and the 3SB. In the past, I have seen very little difference, but you may find that to be different for you.

MeLizzard

Post by MeLizzard »

If you have access to Armstrong, play some of the Heritage models.
"There is no 'Try'; there is only 'Do'."--Yoda

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

Agreed! I was very impressed with the Heritage flutes. Also try the upper level Emersons if given a change.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

fluttiegurl wrote:Flute World will sned you a few flutes (I forget how many) and all you do is give them a credit card number as a deposit. They will deduct the shipping cost and the cost of the flute that you choose (if you choose one of them). They will also let you pay by check if you do not want it put on your credit card. It costs nothing but shipping to try flutes out.

I suggest taking a look at some of the silver head flutes as well. You may want to compare maybe tehh 3SHB and the 3SB. In the past, I have seen very little difference, but you may find that to be different for you.
I looked into doing a trial with fluteworld right before I upgraded to my Miyazawa. The reason they ask for a credit card number, is to put a hold on your account for the value of the flute. This is to ensure that they will get their money if you either decide to purchase the flute, or if by some chance the flute doesnt get back to them.

So, if you do a trial with three flutes, then they put a hold on your account for the value of three flutes [ I thought this wasnt exactly fair because not many individuals have that kind of cash if they are doing a trial of handmade flutes....]. Same goes for headjoints.

Although, I have heard of people who havent had this done to them.... so it might just have to do with the level of instrument in question.

sherbert789

Post by sherbert789 »

I think you're right fluteguy. I bought a Yamah-62 piccolo from Flute World about a year ago...and they did all of that. But, I had already pretty much made up my mind that this was the piccolo I wanted, so it was the only piccolo that I took out (mainly because I had played on one before and loved it....and it was all I could afford). They'll contact you after a week or so to ask you what you have decided though, and they're very easy to work with.

Mark

Post by Mark »

greetings Mattyacht, :)

while farbeit from me to disparage my Gemmy's, you might want to
take a look at what Pearl is offering.
My son tried one out that was a wonderful instrument.
you might look at the 665 or 765 Quantz models.

Granted, I don't know if it was just a fluke that this one turned out
so well, but it plays well enough for him that I am bypassing Gemmy's altogether
and gathering up the cash for this one.

mark
So many instruments.... so little time.... :)

woof

Post by woof »

fluteguy18 wrote:
So, if you do a trial with three flutes, then they put a hold on your account for the value of three flutes
I trialed three flutes and yes they do put a hold on the full purchase amount- which means your credit line is reduced by that amount-tho your account is not charged. I think it is a fair system considering their risks. They also readily give extensions if you want more time. The cost of shipping plus insurance for the return can be quite a shock for high end flutes (nearly $100 or more) so be ready for that as well. All in all I think comparing several flutes in the peace and quiet of your own home over several days is a great asset in picking the one you really like. I don't think I could have made a really informed decision after playing one for a few minutes in a store setting so I was happy for the opportunity to trial at home.