B-stock from Woodwind Brasswind

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

HarmonicConnection

B-stock from Woodwind Brasswind

Post by HarmonicConnection »

I hear that wwbw is an excellent, trusted site. They have what is called their "B-stock." This is what they say about it:

Noticeable scratches, dents and/ or nicks. Typically a customer return or refurbished product. GUARANTEED TO PLAY PERFECTLY. Includes FULL MANUFACTURER WARRANTY* and Woodwind and Brasswind's 45 day 100% satisfaction guarantee. Our loss is your opportunity to SAVE MONEY!

Quantities are extremely limited. First come, first served.

Would any of you trust this or take advantage of it? One could find a better flute for the same price as a new, less good flute.

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Not meaning to be a downer, but I simply do not trust WWBW. I know several people who have had good experiances, but I know many people who have had bad ones.

Maybe their service has gotten better since they were bought out when they filed bankruptcy last year....

I would be very cautious about this.

fluttiegurl

Post by fluttiegurl »

I have also had problems with WWBW. As a new player, you are much better off starting with a reputable dealer that you can trust. If internet shopping is a must, Flute World has a great trial plan and very knowledgeable employees.

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

As a whole, I have had good service from WWBW.com However, their repair department is usually so back logged, it usually takes a while from them to get an instrument. They do honor their return policies. Here are a few things you can do to avoid issues.

1. If are not able to get someone locally to do possible minor adjustments, then I would only consider buying a new instrument. I was fortunate when i got my Pearl 665 from them, it was ready to play out of the box.

2. If you are in a hurry, I would not buy a flute from ANYONE off of the internet. Buying a flute to try out can take upto a week to receive it. If you dont like it, it can take a week for them to get it back, and another week to get another one.

3. Beware of returned or Bstock items. Under normal conditions, these instruments would be ok. Considering the WWBW puts out a high volume of instruments, it would not be hard for a return not to make it to a repair tech before it gets put up for sale.

4. You do not get something for nothing. WWBW sells flutes from upstarter companies who have not been around long. Some of these brands are good deals, some of them are not. I have seen ads for flutes that retail for $5000 dollars, selling for $1495. This will make you think that you are getting a good deal. However, when i have tried flutes like this, they usually do not play like $5000 flutes.

80% of the time, when I deal with WWBW, I go straight to their showroom in Southbend Indiana. This is actually the best way to buy an instrument from anyone. If you do not like it, they can call the warehouse in the back, and get you another one. Also, if the flute needs minor adjustment, they will fix it on the spot.

Anytime you buy something in the mail, there is a compromise. That is why it is best for a beginner to try to deal with someone local if they can, even if the instrument costs a little more. If there is not anyone in your town/city, consider spending a few more dollars and take a day trip to the nearest big city. You may spend a few extra dollars in gas, bus fare, train fare, etc..... but you will come out winning in the end.

Just another .02

Phineas

atoriphile

Post by atoriphile »

Phineas wrote:3. Beware of returned or Bstock items. Under normal conditions, these instruments would be ok. Considering the WWBW puts out a high volume of instruments, it would not be hard for a return not to make it to a repair tech before it gets put up for sale.
I know this is true from experience. I purchased a B-stock Pearl Alto Flute from WWBW a little more than a year ago and when it arrived it wasn't even playable. The keys were bent out of shape so much that they didn't even cover the holes.

I sent it back and was issued an complete refund. I like their return policy.