Staccato + slur = ??

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

asoalin

Staccato + slur = ??

Post by asoalin »

Music theory question...I know what stoccato is, and I know what a slur is, but what do you do with stoccato notes that are under a slur??
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

pied_piper

Re: Staccato + slur = ??

Post by pied_piper »

It generally means to play legato but with some separation between the notes. Also, the music style/period can alter that interpretation.

Perhaps this will help:
http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory21.htm
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

asoalin

Post by asoalin »

Thanks for the great link! So, the notes are detached from one another, but without tonguing each note? One of the images in the link made me think of another theory question. Why is it that there are two "ties" or slur bars over the same notes? (see the first image on the page?). They are calling the upper bar a "phrase mark". Under the "phrase mark" where there is a break in the "slur" are you supposed to tongue that A?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

I generally will lightly tongue such markings and leave a little space between the notes. When phrase markings are over ties, it generally means that you should tongue the second group (the A in that example) but do not take a breath between the two groups of slurred notes.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

Arlee

Post by Arlee »

The way I ussually accomplish this is by lightly tounging with the back of my tounge instead of the front. Sort of like when you douple tounge but with just the back part (the ga or ka part instead of the du or ta part). It does take some finesse to get down right though. the most common "mistake" I hear from people is they tounge too hard.

Ofcourse that is just my interpretation though :)

Also, it is commonly reffered to as legato tounging :)

zummerzet_lou

Post by zummerzet_lou »

Another way to think of it is:

Staccato means the note is played approx half it's usual length.

A slurred Staccata should be played 3/4 usual length - so it's not as abrupt as a staccata, but still separated.

lianeandflute

Post by lianeandflute »

zummerzet_lou wrote:Another way to think of it is:

Staccato means the note is played approx half it's usual length.

A slurred Staccata should be played 3/4 usual length - so it's not as abrupt as a staccata, but still separated.
My old flute teacher said he was watching a video (on youtube or something) of a Pavarotti masterclass where his students asked him to sing staccato and he sang, but the notes weren't all half the usual length. And his students all said "but staccato means short! Why didn't you sing the notes short?" and he had a go at them all because staccato means detached, not short.
Just an interesting way to think of staccato, rather than trying to give it a formula like half the usual length, I try now to think of staccato as just being detached and I feel like this means I can make the staccato fit the music much better than when I tried to give it a formula like that.

But a slurred staccato is a mezzo staccato, so it's moderately detached, kind of half way between staccato and legato. Again you have used a formula "3/4 usual length" but I try to think of it as being detached, but not quite so detached as a normal staccato.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense! It's these subtle differences in the way you think that can make a real difference.
"It's happening inside you; not in the flute!" - Emmanuel Pahud (At a masterclass in Sydney, Nov. 2010)