Upgrading to Professional Flute

Advanced Technique, Performance Questions, Auditions, Recording, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

floridaflute

Upgrading to Professional Flute

Post by floridaflute »

Hi, I am planning to buy a professional quality flute. It seems like I need to spend about $10-12,000 to get a great flute. It also seems like Powell is the best brand based on what I hear from forums. People say to try lots of flutes, but does anyone know a place in Florida where that is possible? Also, does it really matter if the flute is gold if the silver flute is well-made? Any opinions would be helpful.

pied_piper

Re: Upgrading to Professional Flute

Post by pied_piper »

There are many excellent pro-level flutes in the $5000-$10000 range. Is a $10000-$12000 flute really a lot better than a $5000 flute? That's something that you will have to decide for yourself. As far as brands are concerned, there are many brands that are excellent. Powell is one of them, but there are quite a few more: Burkhart, Muramatsu, Nagahara, Williams, to name a few.

When I was searching for a new flute, some players and teachers also told me I should get a Powell. I went to a larger music store that sold a lot of different brands and tried nearly everything they had in stock including Powell, Muramatsu, Sankyo, Pearl, and a few others. I narrowed it down to either Powell or Muramatsu. When I compared them side-by-side, I found that I got a much better sound from the Muramatsu and that's what I bought. Everyone is different. I always say that flutes are like shoes: You have to buy one that fits you. You might find that Powell is great for you or you might find that another brand plays better for you. Try before you buy.

If you can't find a flute store in Florida, you might consider one of these:

http://www.fluteworld.com/
http://www.jlsmithco.com/

Both will ship you flutes to try at home for a week. If you don't buy, the only cost is the shipping.

Also, be sure to read the FAQ. It has lots of good information about buying a flute:
http://www.fluteland.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5859
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

floridaflute

Post by floridaflute »

Hi,
Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure and check out the FAQ and websites. I'm a little discouraged from ordering trial flutes because it costs about $70 per flute to try with insurance and that probably doesn't include return postage and insurance. Am thinking about going to the Florida Flute Convention where many dealers will bring flutes. But, won't it be kind of noisy in the big hall? Thoughts?

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

I tried some headjoints from JL Smith and their trial fee included shipping/insurance both ways. I don't know if that's still true or if FluteWorld does the same. Give 'em a call they are both great to work with.

Yes, trying flutes at a convention is less than ideal, but you should be able to get an idea of those that you like and those that you don't like. After you've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 good possibilities, you can arrange for an at home trial. If you end up buying one, you might be able to negotiate them to deduct the trial fee from the one you buy. It's worth a shot...
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

cflutist

Post by cflutist »

Many manufacturers will take appointments to demo their instruments privately in their "suite"/room. I think I saw on Facebook that Fluteworld was doing that at the Ohio Flute Fair right now.

Also add Carolyn Nussbaum to the list of those stores who will demo flutes and headjoints (I bought my Williams HJ from her).

You might also consider Brannen as their pinless Brögger Mekanik mechanisim is very smooth (much better than my Haynes). Lots of famous Brannen players out there and more of my friends play Brannen than any other flute. I also have a Brannen-Cooper flute.

Like pp said it is very individual. Second flute in our orchestra plays a Powell but wants to trade it in for something else (yet his teacher plays a Powell). Try them all and see what works best for you.

floridaflute

Post by floridaflute »

Thanks! Any opinions on material (silver vs. gold)? So far it seems like it shouldn't matter. I may be talking my position though as gold is out of my budget range.

cflutist

Post by cflutist »

Oh wow, that is a very hot topic.

I made the mistake of mentioning on another flute board that my Brannen is 14K and they jumped all over me. There have been scientific studies saying that one cannot tell the difference, but I have also read articles in Flute Talk where professionals say that they can hear a difference. My orchestra conductor does say that he can hear a difference between my Brannen and my Haynes.

I know that several people have done blind tests that resulted in them buying a 14K headjoint.
Several of us on this board do play 14K headjoints or 14K flutes. So please don't shoot me.

Best that you try several of them out and decide what works best for you within your budget.

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

floridaflute

I get into debates about flutes, materials, etc... None of those things really matter. That audience in most cases will not care, or notice that much of a difference in sound. The only thing they will notice is how you play.

As far as "Professional" flutes are concerned. Although I have a Miyazawa, I have made more money playing on my $500 dollar Jupiter...lol

What really matters is how well you like to play on it. Flutes are designed for the player, not the audience. Play on different flutes, then buy the best quality flute you can afford. If it turns out to be a $1000 flute, or a $20000 flute, it really does not matter.

Do not bend to the peer pressure. Just be sure to do a lot of play testing, and having fun shopping for flutes. Most important get what YOU want.

Phineas

fingerbun

Post by fingerbun »

Phineas wrote:floridaflute

I get into debates about flutes, materials, etc... None of those things really matter. That audience in most cases will not care, or notice that much of a difference in sound. The only thing they will notice is how you play.

As far as "Professional" flutes are concerned. Although I have a Miyazawa, I have made more money playing on my $500 dollar Jupiter...lol

What really matters is how well you like to play on it. Flutes are designed for the player, not the audience. Play on different flutes, then buy the best quality flute you can afford. If it turns out to be a $1000 flute, or a $20000 flute, it really does not matter.

Do not bend to the peer pressure. Just be sure to do a lot of play testing, and having fun shopping for flutes. Most important get what YOU want.

Phineas
All true and all VERY wise.

The only thing I would add is - most people can't tell the difference between good and excellent but a few can, and those who can are more likely to be in positions to offer you opportunities. (Fellow musicians, conductors, etc).

With some other instruments, paying more will get you more reliable instruments, less likely to fail and let you down in a performance situation. Is this true of flutes at all?

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

fingerbun wrote:With some other instruments, paying more will get you more reliable instruments, less likely to fail and let you down in a performance situation. Is this true of flutes at all?
Absolutely not. One of the most durable flutes I ever had was an Armstrong 104. This is one of the cheapest flutes you can buy, especially used.

In the past, there was something called craftsmanship. These days there are CNC machines, and robot welders. These machines can fabricate things with very high repeatability. Because of this, the price of making a good dependable instrument has come way down. These days, there difference between an average $2000 flute and a $10000 flute is nominal at best when it comes to playability, and dependability. I have yet for anyone to prove anything to me otherwise. I have seen people with cheap flutes keep their flutes for years without adjustment. I have seen people with "Professional" models getting constant adjustments. It is a toss up really.

I know I will get flamed, but that is just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Phineas

floridaflute

Post by floridaflute »

Thanks so much for all these comments! My Gemeinhardt M3S vintage 1979 has served me very well with few adjustments required. It just seems like the better flutes have more harmonics in their sound. The player is definitely what makes the biggest difference and I have finally come to the point that I "deserve" a better instrument. When my instructor plays my flute it sounds awesome but he sounds even better on his flute (an Armstrong Emeritus).

Say, is there something like a Kelly BlueBook for flutes? I wouldn't mind buying a used flute. It seems like the professional-grade flutes pretty much hold their value though in which case you might as well buy a brand new one.

cflutist

Post by cflutist »

Looking at used flutes, it seems that Brannen's hold their value pretty well selling for almost as much as new. Same with Powell but not as well as Brannen. But Haynes seemed to have fallen out of favor, perhaps because they are owned by Eastman Winds now and people get confused as to which flutes are still made in Boston versus those made in China with a headjoint cut in Boston. Although I have been told that they are completely re-doing their lineup. Can't speak for the Japanese flutes.